Are There Tutorials For This Type of Thing?

Gamerguy0811

So, I have an idea for a mod I want to make, but I have little to no expierience coding. Instead of spending loads of time searching for tutorials, I decided I'd post here and ask. I want to make my mod for 1.6.2 incase the version matters. Here's what I'd like to know:

[*]How to Make a New Crafting Item

[*]How to Make Custom Armor

[*]How to Add Potion Effects to Custom Armor

[*]How to Make an Item That Can be Used as a 2nd Inventory(like the backpacks in the backpack mod)

[*]How to Make a Vanilla Item Dyeable

[*]How to Make a Throwing Weapon

[*]How to Make an Item That When Thrown Teleports You, but with a Fishing Line Behind it

[*]How to Make an Exploding on Impact Throwing Weapon

[*]How to Make an Item That When Thrown Puts a Waypoint on the Block its Thrown at

[*]How to Make a Radar That Shows Any of the Waypoints Within a Certain Amount of Blocks

[*]How to Make a Throwing Weapon that Flies to the Nearest Hostile Mob When Thrown

[*]How to Make a Smoke Bomb

[*]How to Make a Car

[*]How to Make a Flying Vehicle

[*]How to Make a Faster Boat

[*]How to Make a Computer Block that When Right Clicked You Can Make Files etc. With

If anyone could link me to a tutorial, or just post the script in a reply, that would be great! Thanks!

So you have little to no experience and want everyone to do everything for you, including the research?  This isn't going to get you far.

I do not have much experience in modding myself yet, however, I have spent at least 100 hours pouring through websites/tutorials/github code/etc trying to figure out how to do the things I am wanting to do.  When i get stuck, I ask a very specific question and post the code/work I have done to get to that point.

Do not expect others to do your job for you.

Finally, several of the things you mentioned are actually covered in the tutorials on this site.

CS106A Programming Methodology on the Stanford webpages is where I would have started :P

Followed by the forge modding courses by Vswe @ courses.vswe.se

Also google.com is a valuable tool in finding simple things such as tutorials which are made -_-'

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

So you have little to no experience and want everyone to do everything for you, including the research?  This isn't going to get you far.

I do not have much experience in modding myself yet, however, I have spent at least 100 hours pouring through websites/tutorials/github code/etc trying to figure out how to do the things I am wanting to do.  When i get stuck, I ask a very specific question and post the code/work I have done to get to that point.

Finally, several of the things you mentioned are actually covered in the tutorials on this site.

Rude he was asking not demanding like others here.

You are absolutely correct, he did ask instead of demand.  He also was asking everyone to do it for him instead of doing it himself, which is what I was pointing out.

So, I have an idea for a mod I want to make, but I have little to no expierience coding.

16. How to Make a Computer Block that When Right Clicked You Can Make Files etc. With

Yeah, you're not going to be pulling that off anytime soon.  Also, Stop Capitalizing Every Word Like its the Title of a Book.  It Makes You Look Uneducated.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Let's actually reduce this list to its main points, shall we ?

[*]Crafting

[*]Item

[*]Armor

[*]Potion effects

[*]Inventory

[*]Dyeable item

[*]Throwing weapon

[*]Teleporter

[*]Fishing line

[*]Explosion

[*]Waypoint on Block

[*]Find nearest hostile

[*]Smoke FX

[*]Moving Entities

Now you can find the classes of interest in Minecraft.

Considering you have "little to no experience coding", i'd suggest learning the basics of coding, then basics of Java, completing each step before the next.

You are absolutely correct, he did ask instead of demand.  He also was asking everyone to do it for him instead of doing it himself, which is what I was pointing out.

I wasn't asking everyone to do everything for me. I probably didn't word it correctly. I was asking expierenced modders to point me in the right direction. Sorry if I made myself seem demanding, but you didn't need to be rude!

I Would Recommend

its how i started to learn minecraft modding.

Thanks, but I find it difficult to follow, due to it being recorded on a Mac and I use a PC. Do you know any other good tutorials I could use?

Eclipse functions the same regardless of platform.  The only real difference you need to know is that Control on a PC is Command on a Mac.  I have found the VSWE videos to be some of the absolute best tutorials in video form out there.

Hi

The best advice I can give is to learn by doing.  Start really simple, watch a basic tutorial, get someone else's sample code, run it, understand how it works, change one or two small things and see what happens, then slowly start introducing stuff of your own.  After a while it all starts to make sense.  Realistically you should expect it to take weeks to months before you get reasonably good at it.  That's part of the fun of programming I reckon- you start off rubbish and slowly learn and discover things, until one day you realise "hey I'm not too bad at this after all".

-TGG

That's part of the fun of programming I reckon- you start off rubbish and slowly learn and discover things, until one day you realise "hey I'm not too bad at this after all".

Exactly!

It took a combination of reading an article about how OOP is used "incorrectly" (too much reliance on GodClasses--yes, even Minecraft) and the solution (entity-component pattern) and trying to mimic that using NBT data that I realized how awesome such a pattern is.  It wasn't that I didn't see the value in it, it was that I didn't understand how to design for it.

Once I had a mod that did that it was trivially easy to convert things over into an API format so that other people could make mods for my mod.

And thus I discovered the Factory Pattern.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.