call a method from a specific block using the blocks co-ordinates

jamiemac262

hi, i need to call a method "isBeingProvided" which belongs to a certain block using the co-ordinates of the block

so i need to know if that's even possible,  the method will be called by a few other blocks and they are able to find this specific block which acts like a signal booster for energy, the blocks need to check that every "booster" block within 10 blocks of them are being provided with energy.

i have added the "isBeingProvided" method into those booster blocks but don't have a clue how i would be able to call the method... can anybody help me out?

If the block has a TileEntity and the method is a part of that TE then sure.

Just do world.getTileEntityAt(x,y,z) to grab the TE for that block, and call the method on it :)

The question is when do you need to call this method, or rather from where do you need to call it?

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

i'm calling the method from another block when the block updates (although i need to reconsider this as the block spreads and ends up 20*20*20 blocks which is very CPU intensive :/)

and at the moment the method is actually in the block itself, i will look for a tile entity tutorial now..... a "getBlock(world,x,y,z)" would have been much easier for those occasions where  you only need to call a single method haha..... i wonder if i can implement that by creating an API...... hmmmm

Are you using vectors to define length between blocks? Also, if your wondering if you can get the location when a player hits the block then you could do a EntityPlayer.raytrace(), but seeing as how your dealing with energy it seems you may not be looking for the location only when someone uses the block.

vectors to define the length between blocks? could you explain that a bit more please?

i'm using a method i was taught in college for searching arrays haha.... treating the map as a very big array

for int i /// x

for int j /// y

for int k /// z

at the moment it doesn't check for energy, it just spreads the block when it finds a provider or booster block.

there's an if statement

if the block at  par1 + i, par2 + j, par3 + k is a generator or booster then spread the block

int id = world.getBlockId(x, y, z);

BlockYourBlock b = (BlockYourBlock)Block.blocksList[id];

b.functionCall();

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

world.raycast(...)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Hi

I'd suggest that it's probably more efficient to make your "booster" blocks into TileEntities.  Unlike normal blocks, TileEntity is stored in a list with [x,y,z] coordinate which makes it relatively easy to find if there aren't too many - just ask WorldServer.getAllTileEntityInBox for a list of all tile entities in a certain [x,y,z] range, then step through them to find all the booster blocks.  NB this needs to be done on the server side.

-TGG

WorldServer.getAllTileEntityInBox

/**

* pars: min x,y,z , max x,y,z

*/

public List getAllTileEntityInBox(int par1, int par2, int par3, int par4, int par5, int par6)