[SOLVED] SoundLoadEvent not being called

superckl

I'm having a weird problem. I'm trying to get my mod to play a sound file (update.wav), but I can't seem to get the SoundLoadEvent to fire. I know my load method is being called because the functionality from the ConnectionHandler and TickHandler all work fine, but the logs from my EventHandler are never called. I'm using forge build 737 for 1.5.2.

Main mod class:

package me.superckl.VoltzationClient;

import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod.Init;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod.Instance;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod.PreInit;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.SidedProxy;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.network.NetworkMod;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.network.NetworkRegistry;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.TickRegistry;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;

@Mod(modid = "VoltzationClient", name = "Voltzation Client", version = "1.0", dependencies = "required-after:VoltzationCore")
@NetworkMod(clientSideRequired = true, serverSideRequired = false, channels = {"VoltzMoney", "VoltzMRequest"}, packetHandler = PacketHandler.class)
public class VoltzationClient
{
@Instance(value = "VoltzationClient")
public static VoltzationClient instance;

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "me.superckl.VoltzationClient.ClientProxy", serverSide = "me.superckl.VoltzationClient.CommonProxy")
public static CommonProxy proxy;

public static final String logFormat = "[VoltzationClient] %s";

@PreInit
public void preInit(final FMLPreInitializationEvent e)
{
	//Config.initialize(e.getSuggestedConfigurationFile());
}

@Init
public void load(final FMLInitializationEvent e)
{
	MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new EventHandler());
	NetworkRegistry.instance().registerConnectionHandler(new ConnectionHandler());
	TickRegistry.registerTickHandler(new TickHandler(), Side.CLIENT);
}
}

EventHandler:

package me.superckl.VoltzationClient;

import java.io.File;

import cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLLog;

import net.minecraftforge.client.event.sound.SoundLoadEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.event.ForgeSubscribe;

public class EventHandler {

@ForgeSubscribe
public void onSoundLoad(final SoundLoadEvent e){
	FMLLog.info(VoltzationClient.logFormat, "Here it comes!");
	FMLLog.info(VoltzationClient.logFormat, VoltzationClient.class.getResource("/mods/voltzationclient/sounds/update.wav").getFile());
	e.manager.addSound("money/update.wav", new File(VoltzationClient.class.getResource("/mods/voltzationclient/sounds/update.wav").getFile()));
}

}

Any ideas?

Thanks, that fixed it. But, I have another problem now. My sound isn't playing. My sound file, update.wav, is located in VoltzationClient.zip/mods/voltzationclient/sounds/update.wav. I use this to play the sound:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.playSoundAtEntity(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer, "money.update", 20F, 1F);

Know what's wrong? The getResource call is pointing to:

file:/C:/Users/superckl/AppData/Roaming/.technic/modpacks/temporary/mods/VoltzationClient.zip!/mods/voltzationclient/sounds/update.wav

I'm using a custom mod pack to test the mod, if you were wondering.

Thats not how the string works. "money.update" would make Minecraft look in assets/Minecraft/sound/money for the update sound file.

Make an assets/[mod_id]/sound/money package and put in your update sound file in there.  Replace [mod_id] with the mod id of your mod and change "money.update" to "[mod_id]:money.update".

Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.playSoundAtEntity(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer, "[mod_id]:money.update", 20F, 1F);

You will also need to change

e.manager.addSound("money/update.wav", new File(VoltzationClient.class.getResource("/mods/voltzationclient/sounds/update.wav").getFile()));

to

e.manager.addSound("[mod_id]:money/update.ogg");

In 1.5 the folder was called 'mods' instead of 'assets', but the principle mentioned by Xenocider is the same. I'm not 100% this was also being applied for sounds by then, but you can at least try it.

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

If I look back at how I've done it, it looks the same as how Xenocider described. The difference is that I'm using .ogg files instead of .wav which caused problems for me as well. So try converting the sound file to .ogg and retrying. There is a String only method, look for example at an older version of my Minesweeper Mod:

https://github.com/MineMaarten/MinesweeperMod/blob/d9fddc885f6ae5cba9342fd37abe7bd35e35e6be/src/minesweeperMod/client/MinesweeperSoundHandler.java

https://github.com/MineMaarten/MinesweeperMod/blob/d9fddc885f6ae5cba9342fd37abe7bd35e35e6be/src/minesweeperMod/common/ItemMineDetector.java

Author of PneumaticCraft, MineChess, Minesweeper Mod and Sokoban Mod. Visit www.minemaarten.com to take a look at them.

I finally got it. I changed the registration to:

e.manager.soundPoolSounds.addSound("mods/voltzationcore/sound/money.ogg", VoltzationCore.class.getResource("/mods/voltzationcore/sound/money.ogg"));

And I use this to play it:

Minecraft.getMinecraft().sndManager.playSoundFX("mods.voltzationcore.sound.money", 1.0F, 1.0F);

Thanks for all the help guys.