Forge Ore Dictionary

Dawars

Seconded.

I'm actually reading someone else's code, trying to help her with debugging.  I have the assistance of someone who knows Java, but I personally don't - I'm learning by going through this!

But because I don't know how to call on the Ore Dictionary, I'm having trouble sorting out what she might be doing wrong. 

I've hunted all over but can't find a good tutorial on 'how to use the Forge Ore Dictionary' - is there one? 

If not... could we get one? :D

-Sevi

^God i love you.^

You've taught me a lot about forge and set me on the road to looking at hooks for myself, so thanks.

I figured out how to call it, but I'm having problems with static references and such (it's thoroughly detailed in the support section, but nobody seems to reply.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think i figured it out (I'm new to modding)

[glow=blue,2,300]MinecraftForge.registerOre("oreCopper", new ItemStack(myCopperOre));[/glow]

put this in your mod's load() method. the above example is for Copper Ore, but you can add anything you want really. though the String parameter should follow the tamplate:

"oreMaterial" or "IngotMaterial" or "gemMaterial"

in general: "typeMaterial"

List of Strings Forge already knows: oreTin, oreCopper, oreSilver, oreUranium, ingotTin, ingotCopper, ingotSilver, ingotBrass, ingotBronze, ingotUranium, ingotRefinedIron, dyeBlue, gemRuby, gemEmerald, gemSapphire, itemDropUranium, woodRubber, itemRubber

Forge doesn't 'know' any of those registries.

Those just happen to be common ones mods use.

All those strings are determined by modders, not forge.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

You may wanna checkout build 127, and this:

package net.minecraft.src;

import net.minecraft.src.forge.NetworkMod;
import net.minecraft.src.forge.oredict.OreDictionary;
import net.minecraft.src.forge.oredict.ShapedOreRecipe;
import net.minecraft.src.forge.oredict.ShapelessOreRecipe;

public class mod_OreDictTest extends NetworkMod
{    
    @Override
    public String getVersion()
    {
        return "Boo!";
    }

@Override
    public void load()
    {
        CraftingManager.getInstance().getRecipeList().add(new ShapelessOreRecipe(Block.dirt, "test", "test"));
        CraftingManager.getInstance().getRecipeList().add(new ShapedOreRecipe(Item.pickaxeDiamond, new String[]{"XXX", " # ", " # "}, '#', Item.stick, 'X', "test"));
        CraftingManager.getInstance().getRecipeList().add(new ShapedOreRecipe(Item.pickaxeDiamond, "XXX", " # ", " # ", '#', Block.dirt, 'X', "test"));
        OreDictionary.registerOre("test", new Item(31001).setIconIndex(1).setItemName("Test1"));
        OreDictionary.registerOre("test", new Item(31002).setIconIndex(2).setItemName("Test2"));
    }
}

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Dude.  Should really try and use the latest Recommended Build. :o

Anyways, I've fixed a couple of mistakes in your code and clarified a bit on how registering works.  Will probably add how to use IOreHandler in a bit.

Edit: And done.  Hopefully this'll help some people.

It was recommended when i started Physicraft... But I'm updated now, and registerOre() is deprecated in eclipse :'(. (I know that it's useless now).

EDIT: Oh I see, you used 120 (recomended), I'm updated to 128, so confusion has set in :).

Works perfectly now! The code is so much cleaner than using the IOreHandler!

Hmm maybe you should add a shortcut method in ShapedOreRecipe called ShapedOreRecipe.add(XXX) to simplify the method so people don't have to type such a long function such as:

CraftingManager.getInstance().getRecipeList().add(xx)