[FIXED] Contributing to Forge - Problems with gradle setupForge

beyonix

Dear Forge developers,

I'd like to contribute and have tried doing my homework (googled, wiki'd, read tweets, read up on mcp, search these forums+read recent posts) before coming here, but unfortunately find myself stuck. I have a number of questions, which I will highlight for the sake of readability.

I'm assuming this link https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/wiki/If-you-want-to-contribute-to-Forge is obsolete and that the correct procedure for contribution is described here https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/master/README.txt, leading to my first set of questions:

Gradle - missing resources

I have cloned the repository (Might be a good idea to mention that submodules have to be checked out also, there might be other derps like me who miss that!), no problem there (anymore :) )

I execute gradle(w.bat) setupForge from the workspace root. Due to the errors I have received, I have tried this with gradlew.bat with and without gradle installed, as well as with the gradle command. In all cases the log will look like this: (https://gist.github.com/beyonix/7958370)

Between lines 6840 and 6991 you'll find loads of "Resource missing." entries. When I point my eclipse to the repository eclipse folder, it shows a number of these as missing libraries:

Description Resource Path Location Type

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - net.minecraft launchwrapper 1.8' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.paulscode codecwav 20101023' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.paulscode codecjorbis 20101023' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - lzma lzma 0.0.1' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.ibm.icu icu4j-core-mojang 51.2' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.mojang authlib 1.3' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.paulscode soundsystem 20120107' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.paulscode librarylwjglopenal 20100824' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

Project 'Forge' is missing required library: 'F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\unresolved dependency - com.paulscode libraryjavasound 20101123' Forge Build path Build Path Problem

I think I could manually locate these and place them correctly, but that seems rather cumbersome and defeating the purpose of having a nice gradle environment. Is this an issue or just me missing something obvious?

Development process

My second set of questions regards the nature of development activities for Forge. I understand that MCP provides an environment for d/recompiling+d/reobfuscating minecraft, and that Forge extends the deobfuscated code through patches supplying a range of hooks for easier/standardized minecraft modding, is that correct? I'm particularly in doubt whether in Forge we are supposed do the renaming of undescriptive methodnames such as ChunkProviderEnd.func_147420_a to generateTerrain (what it seemed to be in 1.6.4). Is this method/variable naming a MCP 'responsibility' or a Forge one?

I ask because in my log I see lines such as:

Patching failed: net/minecraft/world/gen/ChunkProviderEnd.java Cannot find hunk target

2: Cannot find hunk target @ 0

3 fuzzed 2!

4 fuzzed 1!

5: Cannot find hunk target @ 0

2/5 failed

Rejects written to F:\Temp\Forge\MinecraftForge\patches\minecraft\net\minecraft\world\gen\ChunkProviderEnd.java.patch.rej

Which in some cases seems to be fixed by restoring the more descriptive method/parameter names, but as mentioned, I'm not sure whether I should touch that.

All in all, I find it difficult to assess the current progress towards 1.7, what exactly remains to be done still and how I can pick a task without clinching with other developers. If anyone could give/link a more in depth description how forge builds on top of mcp and/or a concrete list of task-types/instances, that would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

1) Run with --update-dependencies So you get the latest GradleForge, You're trying to download files from the old libraries server, we've already fixed it for the new.

2) Renaming methods from srg names to user friendly names is soley the department of MCP. And can be done through MCP's bot on IRC: http://mcpold.ocean-labs.de/index.php/MCPBot Its all crowd sourced so if you want to rename things you can, just don't do it in Forge, do it through the bot.

There is no concrete list of things Forge provides, but the first task in any update is to kill as many errors in our source as possible., Then work on re-introducing all of the patches.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Hello, i'm getting the same problem, getting dependencies error in eclipse, so i tried deleting the cache and re installed using --refresh-dependencies as --update-dependencies doesn't seem to work. But anyways, any method i try ends up in failure with the same dependencies error in eclipse.

Hope you can help us.

PD: Sorry for my English, i'm from Perú.

@LexManos: A concise response containing everything I needed to continue, thanks a lot! :)

With respect to the first point, I didn't get --update-dependencies to work either but --refresh-dependencies seemed to lead to gradle retrieving the latest jars. However, the dependencies are indeed still missing if I rerun setupForge. I think the URL's to those library downloads may be incorrect? I have tried downloading a few of these libraries manually and found that all of them downloaded without problem if I substituted the "http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/" prefix with "https://libraries.minecraft.net/". So I imagine this is either a GradleForge issue or us not understanding how to run the --update-dependencies. Could you perhaps enlighten us on which one is most likely and explain us how to not derp if that is the case? :P