The extent of forge

Zedicus

Hey, just a fairly quick question; does forge have the capacity to edit the vanilla GUIs? If I could give one example it would be like hack/mine, in which you can change the "inventory bar" to one showing abilities/spells. Hopefully without making it incompatible with everything under the sun via the editing of base MC classes. Another idea of mine being adding more articles of clothing and making a more WoW equipment system, which would require a fairly large vanilla GUI overhaul.

Thanks for any all and information!

EDIT: A thought came to mind, how many other mods would actually edit those classes? The aether mod's the only other one I know to edit the inventory GUI at least. Also would there happen to be any hooks into the combat system? a

k.a. attacking events, if you've ever played "Morrowind" I'm hoping to recreate that slashing/stabbing combat style.

Thanks again.

You have the ability to do whatever you wish, if you need to do fundamental changes like replacing all of the GUIs, you should probably do it as a core mod.

However, this requires pretty good knowledge of ASM and probably you wont get much support.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

You have the ability to do whatever you wish, if you need to do fundamental changes like replacing all of the GUIs, you should probably do it as a core mod.

However, this requires pretty good knowledge of ASM and probably you wont get much support.

Just to avoid confusion, mainly my own, by "core mod" I'd assume you mean edit the base classes? Either that or I'm missing something.

EDIT: A short tale of my "Modding history", basically I've made a few bukkit plugins for my "home server (what with me being a dev there.)" so I'm used to feeling slight... restricted shall we say with what I can actually do, hence me asking if this would be possible without overwritting any classes because a) It'd be awesome if I can make it compatible with most other forge mods and b) its got "SMP" support, so if it ever works the server/other servers could use it and I'm not sure how easy that'd be if I go around editing base classes and c) well... I've yet to get this far, it's currently 3 in the morning.

Now that I'm in a better mind set, to the point were I can write a coherent sentence I'll rephrase my question - Does Forge have the capabilities to call GUI-B (modded GUI) instead of GUI-A (In this case the vanilla inventory GUI) in the form of a direct change , or at least some form "indirect" workaround, I can think of one idea, intercepting, canceling, calling GUI-B. - Thanks.

A coremod is a mod that uses ASM in forge.  A normal mod is a mod that does not use the ASM library in forge.  Either way, no base edits.

Would this be referencing the ASM "Core API" as apposed to the "Tree API"? Or is that just a coincidence?

Thanks for the information, by the way.

'Core' mods are a new type of mod that FML supports they are loaded before ANY minecraft class is loaded, and they have the ability to transform ANY class as they wish at the bytecode level.

This is NOT something the average modder should do, this is purly for people who know what they are doing.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

'Core' mods are a new type of mod that FML supports they are loaded before ANY minecraft class is loaded, and they have the ability to transform ANY class as they wish at the bytecode level.

This is NOT something the average modder should do, this is purly for people who know what they are doing.

Ah, thanks, I'd probably class myself as a "below average" modded, mainly during to my lack of experience with forge, but it can't hurt to learn about ASM, reading through a PDF on ASM "4", you never know, I may actually learn something. Though I shall work on the non-"core" sections of my mod first.

Thanks again.