What should we do to prepare for 1.7?

Flenix

Hey guys,

So, I know 1.7 removes the old item ID system. I've also noticed a lot of modders recently started releasing "1.7 compatability patches" which seem to prepare their blocks and items for the transition.

What I'm wondering is, what exactly are those mods doing with these patches, and what can we do to prepare? Obviously I don't want my users to lose my blocks from their worlds so I want to make sure everything ports over nicely.

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

from some testing ive done i think that many mod blocks, items, and entities are also saved as mod.<name> but it also cross checks the ids for blocks and items, with the removal of ids it will just leave mod.<name> which it will jus check that so there shouldnt be much of an issue, i know this is in fact how it will work for mobs, as thats where most of my testing has been, but im not so sure about blocks and items. i think thats hows it will work though. anyone who has more information about this will either agree or correct me.

Hey guys,

So, I know 1.7 removes the old item ID system. I've also noticed a lot of modders recently started releasing "1.7 compatability patches" which seem to prepare their blocks and items for the transition.

What I'm wondering is, what exactly are those mods doing with these patches, and what can we do to prepare? Obviously I don't want my users to lose my blocks from their worlds so I want to make sure everything ports over nicely.

Here is the most basic version of the change to my code to make items in worlds saved with 1.6.4 versions of my mod survive the transition to 1.7.2 versions of my mod.  Basically, you say "hey FML -- this item (id=9753) is YALSM:patchworkFlesh" when you create an Item... FML saves enough information with the 1.6.4 world so that on the 1.7.2 side, FML is able to say "OK, an item saved with 1.6.4... I can't do anything with the 9753 part, but I do happen to know of an item by the name "YALSM:patchworkFlesh", so I'll use that going forward."

Starting with version 1.6.4-9.11.1.944, FML adds severe warning messages to the log to indicate which items will definitely not survive.  This is how I first found out about this, so I was able to get a jump on refactoring item registration in my mods to make it super easy to update to 1.7.2 versions of Forge, and carry my mods' saved items forward when loading my mods with Forge 1.7.2-10.12.0.972 or later.

Also, I think all this is the same for blocks as well.

Sit down with your favourite bottle of whisky... And have a few glasses. while updating, continue this. If you havnt finished the bottle before you finished updating, Your obviously doing something wrong...

Start using lang files for everything where possible(if you haven't already). The new chat component system is really simple when you can call everything through the Translate component, and also helps heaps with localizations.

I updated to 1.7 a couple of days ago(using the test forge builds) And my small unreleased mod had approx 4000 errors to fix... and about 8 hours work and just over 1000 lines of code changed (Although I changed some things/added new content as well). Almost everything has been modified/tweaked in some way. from chat messages to packets to items/blocks. Most things are small or easy to figure out. For instance Icon is now IIcon... A quick find/replace and you solve 100 or so errors. Some things require a bit more effort. Like chat messages. And some things, such as rendering, I have disabled until the deobfuscation of names is finished, because it is soo hard to guess which boolean out of the 20 is "renderVignette". It's not impossible (and MCP bot does help), but the amount of effort required for each thing seems ridiculous , compared to working on another part of my mod, and waiting for deobfuscation. I feel for the naming team.

All in all the update seems to fix a lot of issues... But I'm guessing it will make hundreds more haha.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein