ItemStacks & Recipes?

Captain Hillman

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a recipe for an item I've made that *should* require a stack of 3 input items (i.e. three X's create one Y). The code I'm using at the moment is below, but when creating the output item, only one of the stacked input is used up, not all three. What have I missed?

GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(ItemStore.itemY), new ItemStack(ItemStore.itemX, 3));

it SHOULD be (itemY, itemX, itemX, itemX)

The inputs don't check the stack size, that is why you can have 2 full stacks of planks and still make sticks.

As for weither or not you should use new Object[] the answer is NO.

That's a decompiler artifact that should not exist in any code that you write. {Quit copy/pasta people -.-}

addRecipe functions take 2 arguments, a itemstack for the output

And then a parameter array for the inputs.

When java compiles a parameter array it converts it to a true array.

So

public void add(ItemStack output, Object... inputs)

add(new ItemStack(ItemX), new ItemStack(ItemY), new ItemStack(ItemY), new ItemStack(ItemY))

gets converted to this by the compiler:

public void add(ItemStack output, Object[] inputs)

add(new ItemStack(ItemX), new Object[]{new ItemStack(ItemY), new ItemStack(ItemY), new ItemStack(ItemY)})

So you can see where that decompiler artifact comes from. There is NO reason you should ever do it in your code.

Same goes for Character.valueOf('a') The compiler adds the Character.valueOf automatically to anything in character literals 'a' So you should not need to add them ever.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon