[1.6.4] Renderpass-like functionality for Armor?

Talonos

I want the texture of a piece of armor to be the sum of several different textures.

I know you can do something like this with Icons, by adjusting the number of render passes and using getIcon's renderpass sensitive overload. I found a good example of how to do it in Tinker's Construct open source toolCore.java. But how does one do it with armors? Is it possible? If so, can anybody point me to a good example that I can learn from?

Thanks.

PS: If this is a double-post, I apologize. The server timed out last time I tried to post it, and I'm not sure if it went through.

You misunderstand me.

All items, when in the inventory, are rendered as icons, and I know how to overlay icons using renderpasses. But armor, when equipped, uses a texture, not an icon. I'm looking specifically at getArmorTexture(ItemStack stack, Entity entity, int slot, String type).  The fact that the old getArmorTexture(ItemStack stack, Entity entity, int slot, int layer) was deprecated implies that using a string is more powerful than using an integer. Why? Can you use more than just null and "overlay"? If so, what order do they get drawn in? Or will I have to override getArmorModel (which I am loathe to do)