Rotating Block Textures in an SBRH (Using Metadata)

MrArcane111

After many hours of frustrating labor, I have finally figured out, thanks to the assistance of the lovely MMM_MasterM, how to rotate a block's top-facing textures based on placement metadata.

Here was my dilemma:

I created a Conveyor Belt that used the metadata integers 0-3 to determine placement. I also used the renderBlockLog in RenderBlocks as guidance for how I would rotate the texture. I learned that, using uvRotateTop, I could change the texture's rotation. The problem I was having was that the in-game directions North and East were placing fine, but the South and West ones weren't. By setting the uvRotateTop to 1, you could rotate the texture East. I thought that if I just set the uvRotateTop to 2, I could get it to rotate South. I was wrong.

Solution:

Well, it was really a matter of recognizing that the uv-related stuff in Minecraft is somewhat...unhelpful. It took a lot of back and forth banter between me and MMM_MasterM to fix the issue. Anyway, below I have posted the code from my SBRH so that none of you may ever have to experience what I just did. Let this be a learning experience!

http://pastebin.com/csy3Ahnh

This shows an example of one of the methods from the SBRH. I am going to move it to the renderInvBlock, and then you can just set the renderWorldBlock to true. In any case, I hope this helps!

:)

Yeah, using OpenGL in that case did not help. You had to have used the Tessellator. I mean, MC has the methods necessary to rotate textures nicely, but they're a bit convoluted and backwards. Maybe an API or Forge addition could be developed to make this a tiny bit easier—I'd do it myself, but I don't think I possess the know-how for something like that considering it took me an hour to figure out what was wrong. Other than that, I really love the SBRHs.

Hi

This might be of interest to you as well.

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/rendering-non-standard-blocks.html

I spent a few very frustrating hours last year figuring it out too... what were Notch & co thinking-?!

-TGG

Thanks for that! You know, I had looked at that before, but I guess I shoulda bookmarked it when I did because I forgot where to find it. Anyway, I guess it helped me in a way since it was a learning experience (just not a fun one).