[1.7.2] Persist TileEntity data when Block is broken

Shinaka

Hey guys. I've been trying to suss through most of this without asking any questions on the forums - but I've hit an issue I can't seem to find an answer to. I have a TileEntity that when placed, assigns the placing player as its owner (just a string on the tileentity that gets saved in the nbt). However, I want that data to persist if the player breaks the block (and thus its in their inventory) and later places it. Sort of like how the Tesseracts in TE remember their owner (and other settings), etc. Any ideas?

You'll need to use the ItemStack's NBTTagCompound.

In your Block's getDrops method you should get the TileEntity. TileYours being your TileEntity

TileYours tile = (TileYours)world.getTileEntity(x, y, z)

You should probably also perform a check on the tile to ensure it is instanceof TileYours

Then you need to get the value from the tile. You need to create the getPlayerName method in your tile entity class and insert it into a new stack's nbttag

@Override
public ArrayList<ItemStack> getDrops(World world, int x, int y, int z, int metadata, int fortune) {
	ArrayList<ItemStack> items = new ArrayList<ItemStack>();

TileEntity t = world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);

if (t instanceof TileYours) {
		TileYours tile = (TileYours)t;
		String name = tile.getPlayerName();

ItemStack stack = new ItemStack(world.getBlock(x, y, z), 1, metadata);
		if (!stack.hasTagCompound()) {
			stack.setTagCompound(new NBTTagCompound());
		}
		stack.getTagCompound().setString("playerName", name);
		items.add(stack);
	}

return items;

}

And in your onBlockPlaced you will need do the opposite and set the name in the tileentity

I'm Sparkst3r, that kid who makes Sphax textures.

Well hi there. :D

Hmm. It seems as though the TileEntity has already been destroyed by the time getDrops is called. Any ideas?

In your Block's getDrops method you should get the TileEntity. TileYours being your TileEntity

You should probably also perform a check on the tile to ensure it is instanceof TileYours

Then you need to get the value from the tile. You need to create the getPlayerName method in your tile entity class and insert it into a new stack's nbttag

@Override
public ArrayList<ItemStack> getDrops(World world, int x, int y, int z, int metadata, int fortune) {

}
		items.add(stack);
	}

return items;

}

And in your onBlockPlaced you will need do the opposite and set the name in the tileentity

Hmm, I was afraid of that. TE uses a tool to dismantle the blocks safely by purposely calling the methods to break the block and saving the tile data in the correct order. You'll have to look around for a method in your block that calls before the tile is deleted so long as you have access to the world and coordinates and able to return the stack to drop.

Override the breakBlock() method and put your code in that.

if (user.hasKnowledgeOfJava) {

if (user.question.hasCode) {

return interpetHelpfulResponse(user.getQuestion());

} else {

return "Could you post your code please?";

}

} else {

return "Learn some freaking Java!";

}

Yeah, I was just going to post the same thing.  The TileEntity is removed in the block's breakBlock() method.  So you just need to Override that in your custom block where you save the data somehow before the tile entity is removed.

Here's the vanilla method:

public void breakBlock(World p_149749_1_, int p_149749_2_, int p_149749_3_, int p_149749_4_, Block p_149749_5_, int p_149749_6_)

{

if (hasTileEntity(p_149749_6_) && !(this instanceof BlockContainer))

{

p_149749_1_.removeTileEntity(p_149749_2_, p_149749_3_, p_149749_4_);

}

}

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Yeah, that'd work. But you'll also need to make sure the normal drop is disabled or you'll have 2 items dropping.

You'll also need to create an entityitem in the breakBlock method and spawn that in the world manually for your drop.

Is there a good example to look at for spawning the entityItem?

Yeah, that'd work. But you'll also need to make sure the normal drop is disabled or you'll have 2 items dropping.

You'll also need to create an entityitem in the breakBlock method and spawn that in the world manually for your drop.

If you look at the BlockContainer class, inside the breakBlock method, there is a removeTileEntity method. My guess is, you could pop your NBT-adding code into there. Of course, there is always events, but if you don't have to use them, then don't.

I'll give you an alternative idea that assumes one bloke per player.

On the savenbt method in the tile, check for the owner to be online and save its nbt to the player.  Then you never need to mess with the rest.

Long time Bukkit & Forge Programmer

Happy to try and help

• 7 months later...

@Override

}
		items.add(stack);
	}

return items;

}

I have the part that you put in breakBlock(), but what do you put in onBlockPlaced? You said "the opposite" and I don't quite get what the code for that would be.

glubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglub.

It is pretty much exactly the same as what I currently have.

This is the code that I have in the PotentialBlock class in the breakBlock() method.

@Override
public void breakBlock(World world, int x, int y, int z, Block block, int p_149749_6_)
{
	TilePotBlock t = (TilePotBlock)world.getTileEntity(x, y, z);
	if (t instanceof TilePotBlock) {
		TilePotBlock tile = (TilePotBlock)t;

ItemStack stack = new ItemStack(world.getBlock(x, y, z), 1);
		}
		stack.getTagCompound().setBoolean("potBlockR", tile.red);
		stack.getTagCompound().setBoolean("potBlockG", tile.green);
		stack.getTagCompound().setBoolean("potBlockB", tile.blue);
		stack.getTagCompound().setBoolean("potBlockIR", tile.ir);

items.add(stack);
		world.spawnEntityInWorld(new EntityItem(world, x, y, z, items.get(0)));
		world.setBlock(x, y, z, Blocks.air);

}

}

It is deleting the information when I'm placing it back down.

glubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglubglub.