Help: Howto: Manage different servers with different configs

keybounce

I want advice on managing two different servers with two different config files.

I have a 1.2.5 server, and a 1.3.2 server. Both have Twilight Forest. But they need different config files, different block ID's, etc.

It's easy enough (relatively ...) to enable/disable the different versions for different configs. I can use the 1.2.5 version when talking to one server, and the 1.3.2 version when talking to the other.

But I have no idea how to manage the different config files that the different servers need.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Jeb! The sheep! The fence pens, they do nothing still leak!

Alright, I tried renaming the files when I'm not using them.

What happens?

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [iNFO] [ForgeModLoader] Searching /Volumes/UserData/Users/michael/Library/Application Support/minecraft/mods for mods

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [FINE] [ForgeModLoader] Ignoring unknown file .DS_Store in mods directory

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [FINE] [ForgeModLoader] Found a candidate mod directory MumbleLink

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [FINE] [ForgeModLoader] Found a candidate zip or jar file Ruins-1.3.2.xzip

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [FINE] [ForgeModLoader] Found a candidate mod directory resources

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [FINE] [ForgeModLoader] Found a candidate mod directory sppcommands

2012-09-02 20:50:32 [FINE] [ForgeModLoader] Found a candidate zip or jar file twilightforest-1.11.3.xzip

I've tried changing the extension to .Zzip, .xzip, etc.

I know that Magic Launcher uses .zipX, but I don't want to use that -- that just means magic launcher will re-enable them fairly often.

So, what's a way to leave a mod in place and disable it so that it won't be active? The whole "Everything is active unless you turn it off" is a pain, and I don't see a good working way to say "Only turn things on that you want for this config". (I thought I did, but it has failed me.)

So yea, now I'm trying to figure out how to both enable/disable mods in the mods folder, AND adjust which config file is in use when a mod is active.

I want advice on managing two different servers with two different config files.

I have a 1.2.5 server, and a 1.3.2 server. Both have Twilight Forest. But they need different config files, different block ID's, etc.

But I have no idea how to manage the different config files that the different servers need.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it make sense to have two separate server instances in their own directories?  I do this with my client installation (also keeps me from accidentally corrupting worlds with wrong mods) and it works out great. 

I'm fixing the stupid villagers.  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1588460-

Suggestions? Ideas?

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it make sense to have two separate server instances in their own directories?  I do this with my client installation (also keeps me from accidentally corrupting worlds with wrong mods) and it works out great.

That, and with a simple enough batch file, I can choose which server I want to start up. Accommodates CraftBukkit too, since it already requires a bat script to load.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Suggestions? Ideas?

You are missing something.

The servers have different directories, completely separate.

But the _CLIENT_ has a single directory, with a single config directory, with a single TwilightForest.cfg file.

If I have the 1.3.2 config, the 1.2.5 client crashes when I try to activate the portal, and won't see an already active portal.

If I have the 1.2.5 config, the 1.3.2 client crashes during initialization.

Right now I have to manually swap the files each time I switch servers. I'm looking for something better.

===

Try setting the system property FML.mod states to a semi colon separated list of modid:true/false, or write the same to config/fmlStates.properties (one mod per line there)

Actually, this was for a slightly different issue. I tried using file renames to disable mods that I wasn't using that were in the mod folder, and it did not work.

But this holds promise. I can't easily generate a semi-colon seperated list, but I can work with filenames in a text file.

Just for exactness: Lets say I've got a file named "mods/ConfigA/Helpful Mod V4-132.zip". Exactly what do I need to write to the config/fmlStates.properties?

(Yea, I hate spaces in filenames, but some people give them.)

You are missing something.

The servers have different directories, completely separate.

But the _CLIENT_ has a single directory, with a single config directory, with a single TwilightForest.cfg file.

If I have the 1.3.2 config, the 1.2.5 client crashes when I try to activate the portal, and won't see an already active portal.

If I have the 1.2.5 config, the 1.3.2 client crashes during initialization.

Right now I have to manually swap the files each time I switch servers. I'm looking for something better.

If you aren't familiar, Magic Launcher will let you configure multiple/different client directories.  Copy your .minecraft directory somewhere else (I use /minecraft/1.3.2/.minecraft, /minecraft/1.2.5/.minecraft, etc).  In Magic Launcher's setup, create a new configuration, and be sure to point the Minecraft.jar and Base Folder to the new location.

I'm fixing the stupid villagers.  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1588460-

Hmm ... that actually might be the best solution. I actually did try something similar to that back before it was officially supported by Magic Launcher, but the scripting needed to make it work became a bit of a maintenance headache.

(Magic Launcher has supported this on windows for a long time, but only recently on macs)