setBlockBounds based on meta/damage?

Satscape

Hi guys, Currently having a go at converting my mod from modloader to Forge, at the same time I would like to change things over to use one BlockId instead of the current 6. All gone well so far, textures working, blocks rendering fine, just one thing I need to do, and I can't figure it out.

One of the 6 blocks is post-shaped instead of a regular block, so I used:

public void setBlockBoundsForItemRender()
    {
		setBlockBounds(0.4f,0.0f,0.4f,  0.6f,0.9f,0.6f);  //post shaped
    }

So, is there any way I can do that ONLY if the meta/damage value of the block is ==5

Doesn't Redpower do something like this to have all those building blocks/half blocks etc?

As a follow up question, in NEI mod, hovering over the blocks, redpower has stuff like 2345:4096 is that Block ID 2345, meta 4096 ? If so how do I use block IDs above 255 and in a tutorial, I read you can only have meta values up to 16.

Well I kind off disagree on this, *especially* if you have a lot of mods installed you are bound to get block id conflicts, so it is indeed very nice if devs try to conserve ids through smart use of metadata. Consider how quickly you might run out of ids if mods like redpower didn't use metadata. Further more it is easier to fix block id conflicts if a mod just uses a few instead of a ton.

Now for a beginning mod it isn't super necessary, especially if your mod doesn't have too many different objects, though it definitely is always a nice bonus.

As to the original question, if you can't figure out what the metadata is you could just group your other 5 blocks and leave the one with the different bounding box as a separate id. Still brings the total count down to 2 from 6.

Well, how are you changing it's metadata anyway?

I mean, right after you do that you can call

world.markBlockNeedsUpdate ( x, y, z);

that'd update the block's texture. This is for when the block has been placed into the world, tho.

Also:

if( metadata == 5 )
   setBlockBounds(0.4f,0.0f,0.4f,  0.6f,0.9f,0.6f);
else 
   setBlockBounds(0f,0f,0f,  1f,1f,1f); // example

Well, how are you changing it's metadata anyway?

I mean, right after you do that you can call

world.markBlockNeedsUpdate ( x, y, z);

that'd update the block's texture. This is for when the block has been placed into the world, tho.

Also:

if( metadata == 5 )
   setBlockBounds(0.4f,0.0f,0.4f,  0.6f,0.9f,0.6f);
else 
   setBlockBounds(0f,0f,0f,  1f,1f,1f); // example

So where do you get the metadata from?