[1.7.2] - this.getBlockName(); - I'm probably missing a comer or something haha

Kimpton

private static final ResourceLocation texture = new ResourceLocation(KimptonCore.modid + ":" + this.getBlockName());

I don't want to have to keep making render classes for every block so I need a generic one I can call therefore need the use of ''getBlockName'' or ''getUnlocalizedName'' however even if I make this a public final statement it doesn't want to allow the ''this.getBlockName'' Any suggestions? Been looking at this for the best part of an hour haha.

Thanks,

Kimpton

Learn basic java

As I'm sure it can be quite annoying to be pestered with small problems such as this, but what's the point in just writing that? :) Dude, as this may seem like I'm not putting any "effort" I've done my best effort to learn as I go along.  May you please reply with a little bit more help - I'm not asking for someone to write this for me, only to point me in a direction of which I can learn.

Go to you tube, watch several Basic Java Tutorials.  Practice a bit.  Look up Wuppy's Tutorials.  Follow those through.

If you haven't figured it out by then, ask again.

Long time Bukkit & Forge Programmer

Happy to try and help

Learn basic java

As I'm sure it can be quite annoying to be pestered with small problems such as this, but what's the point in just writing that? :) Dude, as this may seem like I'm not putting any "effort" I've done my best effort to learn as I go along.  May you please reply with a little bit more help - I'm not asking for someone to write this for me, only to point me in a direction of which I can learn.

Small problem? If you don't know Java, then modding is going to be much much harder. Knowing Java is not an option, it is a REQUIREMENT. Learn from Vswe's tutorials:

if (user.hasKnowledgeOfJava) {

if (user.question.hasCode) {

return interpetHelpfulResponse(user.getQuestion());

} else {

return "Could you post your code please?";

}

} else {

return "Learn some freaking Java!";

}

While I agree that this is a Java language learning topic, telling you to learn all of Java isn't that helpful.  So I'll give you some hints on what you need to learn.

Basically the method will be available depending on the object.  In your code sample, you are trying to call the method on "this"  But think carefully about what "this" is at the point where that code is being executed.  "this" refers to the current class (actually I think an instance of the current class).  So if this code is in your renderer class it refers to the renderer, not to the block object.  Since the renderer class doesn't have a getBlockName() method your compiler will puke on it.

So my hint is that you should change the "this" to be the block object (which should have the method).

You see why this is a basic Java language question -- you're calling methods on wrong class.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Learn basic java

Hi

This thread has some advice on how much Java is useful to know before starting modding, might be of interest:

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,16784.msg84954.html#msg84954

Unfortunately I don't know which of the online "learn Java" sites are the best.  The Sun/Oracle official ones are a bit obscure even for me sometimes.  The "Java for Dummies" books and similar are usually a good way to ease into it.  Practicing making your own simple programs for a few days will help a lot too.

-TGG

For learning programming I strongly recommend reading an actual book instead of (or in addition to) online resources.  Online information tempts you to jump around, but in programming there are some very key details that you'll miss unless they are "forced" upon you to learn.  I find reading an actual book gets you to give the proper attention to the topic, and furthermore guides you through the progression of ideas better.

As a quick but practical Java programming book that is not boring, I recommend Java In Easy Steps: http://www.amazon.com/Java-Easy-Steps-Fully-Updated/dp/1840784431/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Wow thanks guys for the interest :)  Ill write a reply for each of you:

General: I have watched about 20 hours of java AND javascript tutorials from lynda.com - however this was about a year ago. While I haven't ''forgotten'', I still need to go revise this some more :) - I've solved the issue now xD but I will go back a few steps and revise some more of basic Java.

jabelar:Thank you for the links and tips, I will defiantly check these out and most likely buy a few books and sit down, pen and paper:L hehe - and thank you about the ''this.'' explanation. I've actually managed to sort this out already and figure that out about 20 minutes before checking this post. Now thinking about it, it was quite obvious haha.

TheGreyGhost: Sure I'll read through that post and see what's useful for me there - Thank you. Again, I'll probably buy a few books as it seems people are recommending this. As for programs on Sunday (25th) I was writing a simple number guessing game (Recommended by a teacher of mine) which was quite successful, working on a gui for it.

CoolBoy 4531: I realise this now :)

Delpi: Yeah I've already watched a few! :) But as you seen to reference it, I'll go back.

DiabolusNeil: Thanks for link - will sure check it out.

Java and JavaScript are two different programming languages. JavaScript is a scripting language used for websites.

if (user.hasKnowledgeOfJava) {

if (user.question.hasCode) {

return interpetHelpfulResponse(user.getQuestion());

} else {

return "Could you post your code please?";

}

} else {

return "Learn some freaking Java!";

}

Wow thanks guys for the interest :)  Ill write a reply for each of you:

General: I have watched about 20 hours of java AND javascript tutorials from lynda.com - however this was about a year ago. While I haven't ''forgotten'', I still need to go revise this some more :) - I've solved the issue now xD but I will go back a few steps and revise some more of basic Java.

jabelar:Thank you for the links and tips, I will defiantly check these out and most likely buy a few books and sit down, pen and paper:L hehe - and thank you about the ''this.'' explanation. I've actually managed to sort this out already and figure that out about 20 minutes before checking this post. Now thinking about it, it was quite obvious haha.

TheGreyGhost: Sure I'll read through that post and see what's useful for me there - Thank you. Again, I'll probably buy a few books as it seems people are recommending this. As for programs on Sunday (25th) I was writing a simple number guessing game (Recommended by a teacher of mine) which was quite successful, working on a gui for it.

CoolBoy 4531: I realise this now :)

Delpi: Yeah I've already watched a few! :) But as you seen to reference it, I'll go back.

DiabolusNeil: Thanks for link - will sure check it out.

Great attitude! Some people get offended when we say "learn Java", but if you're willing to put in the work it will be quite rewarding.