BUG: Forge's auto-backup causes large map servers to hang, impossible to bypass.

Flenix

Hey guys.

Got a simple but annoying bug here.

I updated a few mods on my server, and that caused one ID to change (from aobd: a mod which dynamically adds/removes ore parts for compatability between mods as they are required).

Forge informed me I had the option to continue loading the world, or abort it. If I continue, Forge will kindly make a backup of my world.

If I select continue, Forge attempts to backup my 15gb world. But, due to the size, the server just hangs and doesn't do anything. I left it for around 45 minutes with no sign of progress - and no sign of any files appearing either.

I'd like to request an option in forge.cfg to decline or disable that auto world backup. The warning itself is still very useful, but this way I can handle the backup myself and it'll be a much faster process for large worlds. Currently, I can't launch my server at all, so I consider this a game-breaking bug.

Using Forge 1147 on 1.7.2 - can't update to 1.7.10 yet due to Buildcraft.

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats

Kill your region files which is what will be the main size of your world and let it run the update.

Then replace the region files.

it SHOULD be fine compressing a 15GB world, unless your computer is to slow.

But ya, for now there is no config option for this.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Kill your region files which is what will be the main size of your world and let it run the update.

Then replace the region files.

it SHOULD be fine compressing a 15GB world, unless your computer is to slow.

But ya, for now there is no config option for this.

Kill my region files...? Wouldn't that effectively just delete the world?

It's on a server not a local PC. 32GB RAM and an Intel Xeon, I was kinda surprised when it hung too if I'm honest. Just copying the files doesn't take long at all.

Could some sort of bypass be considered for future updates? I'm sure I'm not the only person who will have this issue and I see no harm in adding one :P

width=463 height=200

http://s13.postimg.org/z9mlly2av/siglogo.png[/img]

My mods (Links coming soon)

Cities | Roads | Remula | SilvaniaMod | MoreStats