Advantages of .obj file over regulars?

KeeganDeathman

The biggest difference is this: Animation. You CAN animate Minecraft models. You CANNOT animate .obj files easily.

At least, that is what I have been led to understand.

We all stuff up sometimes... But I seem to be at the bottom of that pot.

To animate you need to be able to control the rotation and location of pieces within the model.  In the Java models each block is named and can be controlled independently. Furthermore you can create a hierarchical model that allows for relative rotation and positioning.

For obj and wavefront I don't know if you have that control.  It is probably possible to create similar effect with multiple models (eg you could have one obj model for body,  one for each limb, etc.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

To animate you need to be able to control the rotation and location of pieces within the model.  In the Java models each block is named and can be controlled independently. Furthermore you can create a hierarchical model that allows for relative rotation and positioning.

For obj and wavefront I don't know if you have that control.  It is probably possible to create similar effect with multiple models (eg you could have one obj model for body,  one for each limb, etc.

And that is what Pixelmon does.

We all stuff up sometimes... But I seem to be at the bottom of that pot.

use a combination of the two.

Animation on obj in minecraft can be done, and it's not that hard.

What you need to take into consideration is that the engine is not perfectly suited for obj so if you do start using obj's expect a massive drop in fps so that's why I use a combination certain thing's won't affect fps to much others may.