[1.7.10] Unblocking the Sky

TLHPoE

No :(

actaually yes. he would have to trick mineacraft into believeing that one of his block,e.g. "blockSky"(thats generated at the bottom of his floating island) is the sky.

(i have no how to do this, i am just posting this because i want to know if/how this would work too)

Here could be your advertisement!

if those are custom blocks you can set the light opacity to 1F.

.setLightOpacity(1.0F)

Than they should let the light go trought them.

If thay are not than, sorry but i have no clue.

and what if a player builds a house on one of this floating islands?

I would aim for an artificial sky.

Hi

There is some information here on lighting which might help you understand lighting.

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/lighting.html

See World.computeLightValue().

It is possible (eg add a layer of blocks to the bottom of your island which "emit" skylight) but it will be difficult because the sky lighting is buried deep in vanilla and you will have to dig into it rather deeply using Reflection to modify the vanilla classes, for example World.computeLightValue() or Chunk.heightMap.

-TGG

Hi

There is some information here on lighting which might help you understand lighting.

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/lighting.html

See World.computeLightValue().

It is possible (eg add a layer of blocks to the bottom of your island which "emit" skylight) but it will be difficult because the sky lighting is buried deep in vanilla and you will have to dig into it rather deeply using Reflection to modify the vanilla classes, for example World.computeLightValue() or Chunk.heightMap.

-TGG

Or, he could create a block that behaves like air but emits light.

Whenever one of the neighbor blocks changes it should check if there is any block (expect the bottom block of the island) above it.

if there is one it should remove itself and all other "light"-blocks below.

If not and if the block under it is air it should set light-blocks until it reaches the next solid block.

Setting light under his 'island' isn't going to fix the shadows.  he needs to truly make it the start of a new sky ceiling.

Methods that looks to see if you can see the sky from the ground are also going to fail.

Overall, I think this will e very buggy.  I suggest either living with the shadows and the knowledge there is land above or move the floating islands to a world that has no ground.

Long time Bukkit & Forge Programmer

Happy to try and help

Setting light under his 'island' isn't going to fix the shadows.  he needs to truly make it the start of a new sky ceiling.

Methods that looks to see if you can see the sky from the ground are also going to fail.

Overall, I think this will e very buggy.  I suggest either living with the shadows and the knowledge there is land above or move the floating islands to a world that has no ground.

nah, not only under his island, all the way down to the highest solid block.

Heres some piece of tatally awesome concept art i draw while waiting for someone to answer my questions:

Warning! Opening this spoiler at your own risk! The picture is dangerously bad.

pXBMpWF.png

After reading all of the replies, I'll try spawning blocks bellow my island that give off sunlight, since I use vanilla blocks to generate my island. If I can't do that, creating the new sky ceiling will be my next option.

Kain