Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Using Intellij IDEA for Mod-Development with ForgeGradle

I've now got this set up on a couple of computers, and have had for a few months, but now I need to update and I had a lot of trouble getting it to update forge. These are the steps I needed to take to make it work:

1. grabbed the latest version of forge and extracted the build.gradle to compare to my own (I've made local changes for dependencies) and updated the minecraft:version to "1.10.2-12.18.3.2185" and minecraft:mappings to "snapshot_20161111" to the newest ones.

2. run clearCache and setupDecompWorkspace

3. hit the refresh button in the gradle panel in IntelliJ - without that last step it doesn't pick up the newer version.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Note (Sep. 2017): This post is now getting very old, but it still applies. Regardless you might want to refer to the IntelliJ section in the official Getting Started guide instead.   In this

Thanks, now it works and I created my very first mod which does absolutely nothing at all :-)

Can we get this posted as a sticky?!?! For something that's mentioned in passing, it's pretty damn important for new modders. It took me two days of searching and trying out different things to figure

Good tutorial. Thanks you.

funny I'm using the newest forge download MDK for 1.11.2 but the project is strickly using 1.11

even if I change my ModInfo.Version to 1.11.2 the environment is still 1.11

Is this ok?

I have a basic mod setup in eclipse and loading without errors.

Showing my log text in the console for preInit, init and postInit

all working and doing nothing. :)

Good start.

Now I'm wondering whats next. What is my next move? I'm reading other posts but finding nothing for 1.11 or newer.

Great tutorial, but why is this not in the ForgeGradle section?  Would be a lot of help over there I believe.

What is my next move? I'm reading other posts but finding nothing for 1.11 or newer.

Yea, I decided to take on a pretty heavy mod idea for my first 1.10 mod and I'm wandering around doing the same thing.  Tons of 1.7.10 tutorials out there but can't find anything anywhere for 1.10+ that goes beyond the basics.

That said, if you're stuck on the basics MrCrayfish did a good tutorial series, even though he uses eclipse instead of Intellij IDEA.  He starts out working with 1.9 but there's virtually no difference in the code when he later changes the tutorial over to 1.10+ ... You should be able to just follow along and add in [1.11] and [1.11.2] into the ACCEPTED_VERSIONS when he walks you through that.  I think it all should be compatible.  Since you already have your environment setup for IDEA you can skip the first video.  Here's a link to the playlist;

Note:  I did find a few other 1.10.2 tutorial series on YouTube but they either had extremely bad video compression/resolution, so you couldn't really follow along on their screen, or they just went through things like blockStates and Overrides without showing how you'd actually use them realistically.

Great tutorial, but why is this not in the ForgeGradle section?

The ForgeGradle subforum is more for issues with ForgeGradle. This is a tutorial on how to use IntelliJ IDEA together with ForgeGradle.

can't find anything anywhere for 1.10+ that goes beyond the basics.

The problem with "tutorials" is that they mostly give code and say "do this" without any explanation. And anything beyond the basics is going the more specific to one thing, making an overall tutorial would not really be feasible.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

The problem with "tutorials" is that they mostly give code and say "do this" without any explanation. And anything beyond the basics is going the more specific to one thing, making an overall tutorial would not really be feasible.

Actually I find any tutorial is usually only as good as the person who makes them.  If the person does the tutorial in a "teaching"-type format it's usually quite useful, even if they only focus on one specific item.  On the other hand, if the person just goes "Wanna make a block? Type what I'm typing!" and doesn't bother explaining anything than the tutorial is pretty much worthless.

The tutorials I posted above, for example, were very well detailed and as I followed along I was able to leave a lot of comments in my code for what every part of the code does.  This helped immensely when I went back and started creating my own items and blocks.  That said, because the tutorials really only covered the very basics I'm missing a lot of the more advanced knowledge that would open me up to things like making a chest, a powered furnace, a custom GUI, etc.

I've tried looking at the code from several different mods (like IronChests) but without the explanation of the code, so I can notate why the code is used and what it's doing, it's like trying to read French.

Just wanted to point out, that it is possible to set up a multi project workspace, just like in Eclipse. But you only need it, If one of your mods depends on another, or other reasons, why you want to load multiple mods at the same time. This saves you the building and copying your mods to the real minecraft folder.

It works just like this one plus some fiddling around with the gradle files.

I could make a tutorial for that. At least if you don't want to, seven.

Sincerely,

A13XIS

• 6 months later...

The way I do this (and I advice you do it) is:

• Download Forge MDK and extract to a folder which will become the mod's root directory. Rename this.
  • Open command prompt and cd to the directory (alternatively, shift-right-click in the folder and there MIGHT be an option "Open command window here", in Windows*)
  • Run the command: gradle setupDecompWorkspace
  • Once that's comlpete, open IDEA
  • Click "Import Project", and browse to the .gradle file in the folder you created and select it. Press OK.
  • In the "Import Project From Gradle" options, UNCHECK the setting "Create separate module per source set", and click OK.
  • Wait for IDEA to finish checking the files
  • Open the Gradle tab (View > Tool Windows > Gradle), and run "Your Mod > Tasks > forgegradle > genIntellijRuns".
  • Open the example mod class, and when the warning about the project SDK appears at the top, click Setup Project SDK.
  • Select your Java Development Kit version and accept.
  • Go into Edit Configurations, and under "Use classpath of module" select the only module that should be there.

This is because otherwise you should not have 4 modules, you should have only 1.

For anyone having problems, try this, as it works fine with all versions of Minecraft Forge I've used.

* If you don't see this option and you're using Windows 10, navigate to the folder through your local C:\ drive, through \Users\.

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, BisexualRuby said:

An actual tutorial for setting up the Forge MDK with IntelliJ that works! I've followed like 3 different tutorials for IntelliJ and none of them have worked yet this is the most simple one and it works perfectly :x

Thank you :)

Since this post is apparently still found quite often even though it's ages old, I have updated the main post.

• 2 months later...

The IntelliJ section in the official Getting Started guide is lacking. It refers to incorrect step numbers, and the instructions seem to assume you already know your way around the IntelliJ interface. Examples:

• "Go to Edit configurations..." which is nowhere to be seen in the main interface. It's in the Run menu.
  • "Run the setupDecompWorkspace task (inside the forgegradle task group)..." Again, this item is nowhere to be seen in the main interface. I didn't even know what a task group was and had no idea where to look.

Is there a way to report such problems in the documentation, or simply fix them directly?

Your post is superior in this respect. I wish I had used it instead.

• 3 months later...

Error says: Could not determine java version from '9.0.4'.
Stacktrace:
        java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not determine java version from '9.0.4'.
        at org.gradle.api.JavaVersion.toVersion(JavaVersion.java:63)
        at org.gradle.api.JavaVersion.current(JavaVersion.java:72)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.JavaRuntimeValidationAction.execute(JavaRuntimeValidationAction.java:32)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.JavaRuntimeValidationAction.execute(JavaRuntimeValidationAction.java:24)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLogging.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:206)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.CommandLineActionFactory$WithLogging.execute(CommandLineActionFactory.java:169)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:33)
        at org.gradle.launcher.cli.ExceptionReportingAction.execute(ExceptionReportingAction.java:22)
        at org.gradle.launcher.Main.doAction(Main.java:33)
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.EntryPoint.run(EntryPoint.java:45)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.runNoExit(ProcessBootstrap.java:54)
        at org.gradle.launcher.bootstrap.ProcessBootstrap.run(ProcessBootstrap.java:35)
        at org.gradle.launcher.GradleMain.main(GradleMain.java:23)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564)
        at org.gradle.wrapper.BootstrapMainStarter.start(BootstrapMainStarter.java:30)
        at org.gradle.wrapper.WrapperExecutor.execute(WrapperExecutor.java:127)
        at org.gradle.wrapper.GradleWrapperMain.main(GradleWrapperMain.java:56)

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, Lauroline1066 said:

When i do the build.gradle bit i get an error

Crash   (Not same thing as log)

Log

This has nothing to do with Minecraft, this is an issue with IntelliJ.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Are you trying to make a minecraft mod using intellij or are you trying to make an android app?

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

As the most common issue I feel I should put this outside the main bulk:

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Logs (Most issues require logs to diagnose):

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

https://gist.github.com/100MB Requires member (Free)

https://pastebin.com/: 512KB as guest, 10MB as Pro ($$$)

https://hastebin.com/: 400KB

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

...for Crashes and Runtime issues:

Minecraft 1.14.4 and newer:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Post your installer log, found in the same place you ran the installer

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Twitch Launcher: If you are using the Twitch Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Twitch's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  2. Make a launcher profile targeting this version of Forge.
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Fallback ("No logs are generated"):

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Reporting Illegal/Inappropriate Adfocus Ads:

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Posting your mod as a GitHub Repo:

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

1. Open a command prompt (CMD, Powershell, Terminal, etc).
  2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
  3. Run the following commands:
    1. git init
    2. git remote add origin [Your Repository's URL]
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    4. git checkout --track origin/master
    5. git stage *
    6. git commit -m "[Your commit message]"
    7. git push
  4. Navigate to GitHub and you should now see most of the files.
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)
  5. Now you can share your GitHub link with those who you are asking for help.

[Workaround line, please ignore]

I'm not an expert at intelliJ, but it looks like you're using android studio rather than idea judging from the android tools errors.

This is my Forum Signature, I am currently attempting to transform it into a small guide for fixing easier issues using spoiler blocks to keep things tidy.

The only official source for Forge is https://files.minecraftforge.net, and the only site I trust for getting mods is CurseForge.

If you use any site other than these, please take a look at the StopModReposts project and install their browser extension, I would also advise running a virus scan.

For players asking for assistance with Forge please expand the spoiler below and read the appropriate section(s) in its/their entirety.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Please post logs using one of the following sites (Thank you Lumber Wizard for the list):

Do NOT use sites like Mediafire, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, or a site that has a countdown before offering downloads.

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

This log will be called either installer.log or named the same as the installer but with .log on the end

Note for Windows users:

Windows hides file extensions by default so the installer may appear without the .jar extension then when the .log is added the log will appear with the .jar extension

Where to get it:

Mojang Launcher: When using the Mojang launcher debug.log is found in .minecraft\logs.

Twitch Launcher: If you are using the Twitch Launcher, their configurations break Forge's log settings, fortunately there is an easier workaround than I originally thought, this works even with Twitch's installation of the Minecraft launcher as long as it is not launched THROUGH Twitch:

Spoiler
  1. Make sure you have the correct version of Forge installed (some packs are heavily dependent on one specific build of Forge)
  3. Set the launcher profile's GameDir property to the pack's instance folder (not the instances folder, the folder that has the pack's name on it).
  4. Now launch the pack through that profile and follow the "Mojang Launcher" instructions above.

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

If you don't see logs generated in the usual place, provide the launcher_log.txt from .minecraft

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

If your server does not start or a command window appears and immediately goes away, run the jar manually and provide the output.

Spoiler

Get a screenshot of the URL bar or copy/paste the whole URL into a thread on the General Discussion board with a description of the Ad.

Lex will need the Ad ID contained in that URL to report it to Adfocus' support team.

Spoiler

When you have an issue with your mod the most helpful thing you can do when asking for help is to provide your code to those helping you. The most convenient way to do this is via GitHub or another source control hub.

When setting up a GitHub Repo it might seem easy to just upload everything, however this method has the potential for mistakes that could lead to trouble later on, it is recommended to use a Git client or to get comfortable with the Git command line. The following instructions will use the Git Command Line and as such they assume you already have it installed and that you have created a repository.

2. Navigate to the folder you extracted Forge’s MDK to (the one that had all the licenses in).
    1. git init
      • In the case of GitHub it should look like: https://GitHub.com/[Your Username]/[Repo Name].git
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push
    • note that it is intentional that some are not synced with GitHub and this is done with the (hidden) .gitignore file that Forge’s MDK has provided (hence the strictness on which folder git init is run from)

What program are you launching, IDEA or Android Studio?

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

The only thing I can think of is re-install idea, but I'm far from the most knowledgeable person here.

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push

23 minutes ago, DaemonUmbra said:

What program are you launching, IDEA or Android Studio?

34 minutes ago, larsgerrits said:

This has nothing to do with Minecraft, this is an issue with IntelliJ.

I disabled android and now i get a different error use JDK instead of JRE for gradle importer. Open Gradle settings (clicking on that says it can not find the file location of C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition 2018.1.6\bin\#open_external_system_settings

i checked and it is all good until the last part) 

Consult IDE log for more....

Edited by Lauroline1066

What version of the JDK do you have installed?

Spoiler

Spoiler

What to provide:

Post debug.log

Older versions:

Please update...

...for Installer Issues:

Note for Windows users:

Where to get it:

Spoiler

Video:

Spoiler

or alternately, 

Server Not Starting:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. git init
    3. git fetch
    5. git stage *
    7. git push