[1.7.2]How to make crops

CroComeT

Guest Abrynos

I know this one! It's good. But if you don't want a written one you can also go on Youtube and search for Neale Gaming

Please don't follow Neale Gaming's tutorials.

Their quality is sub-par, the content is often erroneous, and the code doesn't follow well-established conventions.

Furthermore, the speaker's explanation of how things work are often misunderstood.

• Like 1

I don't get it with text its hard and video is same.... can anyone get me all clear without boring advenced, i wanna just for begginers plant on farmland and when its growed you can destroy and pickup please can anyone tell me clear.

My tutorial isn't advanced.  And you have to do all the steps in my tutorial, you cant really simplify further. Lastly text tutorials are good because they have code examples.  Anyway to make a crop you need a seed item and a plant block.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

I don't get it with text its hard and video is same.... can anyone get me all clear without boring advenced, i wanna just for begginers plant on farmland and when its growed you can destroy and pickup please can anyone tell me clear.

My tutorial isn't advanced.  And you have to do all the steps in my tutorial, you cant really simplify further. Lastly text tutorials are good because they have code examples.  Anyway to make a crop you need a seed item and a plant block.

I got no texture when i plant please help but i write right like this

iIcon[0] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_0");

iIcon[1] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_0");

iIcon[2] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_1");

iIcon[3] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_1");

iIcon[4] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_2");

iIcon[5] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_2");

iIcon[6] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_3");

iIcon[7] = parIIconRegister.registerIcon("itemsplusmod:cucumber_stage_3");

Okay, let's have a look, then!

• You need to
    @Override

the

getIcon

method in your

BlockCucumber

class.

Furthermore, there are several issues with your code:

• Remove the following for-now unused imports from
      itemsplusmod

class:

import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
    import net.minecraft.init.Blocks;
    import net.minecraft.item.ItemSeedFood;
    import net.minecraft.item.ItemSeeds;
    import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
    import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

•  
    • The convention is to name classes using TitleCase. Rename your main mod class.
    • Your modid should be all lowercase
    • Your packages should be all lowercase (specifically, com.itemsplusmod.Proxy, com.itemsplusmod.Plants and com.itemsplusmod.Items)
    • You should add at least a
      preInit

method, annotate it

@EventHandler

, and assign your static fields there.

When you have performed all of these changes, here are some suggestions I recommend you to follow:

• Fix your indentiation: Correctness and consistency of indentation is important for reading your code correctly
      • Keep MODID, NAME and VERSION as static final fields of your main mod class
      • Reference your MODID when working with assets such as textures
      • When posting code as gists, use syntax highlighting by selecting your language of choice (Java in this case) from the dropdown menu

Okay, let's have a look, then!

• You need to
    @Override

the

getIcon

method in your

BlockCucumber

class.

Furthermore, there are several issues with your code:

• Remove the following for-now unused imports from
      itemsplusmod

class:

import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;
import net.minecraft.init.Blocks;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSeedFood;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemSeeds;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;
import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

•  
  • The convention is to name classes using TitleCase. Rename your main mod class.
  • Your modid should be all lowercase
  • Your packages should be all lowercase (specifically, com.itemsplusmod.Proxy, com.itemsplusmod.Plants and com.itemsplusmod.Items)
  • You should add at least a
    preInit

method, annotate it

@EventHandler

, and assign your static fields there.

When you have performed all of these changes, here are some suggestions I recommend you to follow:

• Fix your indentiation: Correctness and consistency of indentation is important for reading your code correctly
    • Keep MODID, NAME and VERSION as static final fields of your main mod class
    • Reference your MODID when working with assets such as textures
    • When posting code as gists, use syntax highlighting by selecting your language of choice (Java in this case) from the dropdown menu

I did all that and crop textures are not working.

// seems that crops like to have 8 growth icon, but okay the repeat actual texture if you want
WTF dude. Learn some java, then you don't have to do shit like this.

Diesieben07, actually that comment is mine (from my tutorial).  It isn't a comment related to Java, I'm just saying you don't have to create animation textures for all 8 stages.  Basically it is to save effort on the artwork of the textures.  For example I found that having 4 textures still give fine effect of growth (i.e. you put bonemeal on and it grows).

How to i make preInit for block i maked all like this :

CucumberBlock :

https://gist.github.com/Propucani2/58a26a6d29240dba856b

MainClass :

https://gist.github.com/Propucani2/2defe1c12791dfa8cbd6

ItemSeedFood :

https://gist.github.com/Propucani2/66764469a499ddc7f117

ItemBlockCrop :

https://gist.github.com/Propucani2/7bc30e0e95b698ae582e

CucumberItem :

https://gist.github.com/Propucani2/ae8fa3d30dff9535e1a7

Please help i not have texture.

Im begginer in java i dont know all, soo can you tell me how to i make in preInit phase.

It is okay to be a beginner in Java, but you're too much a beginner to try modding.  The difficulty with modding is that you're trying to modify someone else's code (Minecraft and Forge) and so you have to know Java quite well to do anything significant.

If you don't know how to even initialize instances, how to use the static denotation, how constructors work, and so on, you simply don't know enough Java to even get started.

Even people like me, who is more intermediate in Java, can still get stuck very often because modding is also about figuring out the code that already exists.  If I wrote the whole code myself, then I probably wouldn't have trouble, but you have to figure out all the weird ways that Minecraft and Forge work.  Things like the lifestyle events (like "preInit" that diesieben07 is talking about), or the sided proxy system, or the way blocks are tiled without being individually instances, or the way metadata works, and so on aren't related to learning Java but are about learning how Minecraft and Forge works. if I'm trying to figure out how to make a "key up" event I had to spend a couple days reviewing the code, trying different things, asking questions and then eventually giving up because even the experts said that the solution required modification to the Forge code source.

So we're not trying to be mean when we tell you you need to learn more before modding, just practical. 

To learn Java, I recommend actually reading a real book (not online) because most people that try online programming only pay attention to the topics they think are important but a book will ensure you cover all the topics.  There are so many details in a programming language including differences from other programming languages you may know (like in Java it is a mistake to use == to compare Strings, or in Java enum can't be used as a array, or in Java a multi-dimensional array can be jagged, or that object parameters passed to a method access the actual object instead of a copy, and so on).

The really big programming books like Java For Dummies are a little scary because they are so big.  I recommend Java in Easy Steps because it is a slim little book but covers all the basic topics in a easy to read manner.

If you do want to continue with modding, I suggest you stick with the following things that don't require much programming skill:

- making new recipes (that use vanilla items)

- making very simple extensions of vanilla items (e.g. make a custom entity that extends a vanilla one and only change a couple simple things like the health, sounds and texture).

A crop isn't quite simple because it has interaction between a custom item (the seed) and custom block (the plant) which can be harvested for a custom item (the fruit).

Note you can also have a lot of fun modifying Minecraft without doing any programming.  My kids spend a lot of time making texture packs and skins that radically change the look of Minecraft.  You can also use command blocks to create some really interesting things including minigames.

I will read Programiranje Java (in me country is called like that).

So i will ask you for help if i need when i read.

I'll still try to help you in the PM messages since you've been trying to follow my tutorial.  I've already sent you the first replies there.  I just wanted to set your expectations that you need to get strong in Java to continue further.