Riding pre-existing mobs

GreeneAdamD

I am making a very basic mod just for my friends and I to use and one of the things I want it to do is allow me to ride and steer chickens. I have tried looking into the pig and horse classes but I still can't figure this one out. Here's what I have in my event handler class:

package com.adam.firmchicken;

import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityChicken;
import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.EntityInteractEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;

public class FirmChickenEventHandler
{
@SubscribeEvent
public void onInteract(EntityInteractEvent event)
{
	if(event.target instanceof EntityChicken)
	{
		Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.mountEntity(event.target);
	}
}
}

What this does is visually puts me on the chicken, but doesn't really update my position or let me control it. Any suggestions or pointers are greatly appreciated!

It won't update your position or let you take control over the chicken because the EntityChicken is not prepared to be ridden. The Pig and the Horses Entity class are coded to be ridden by a player. You have to (re)create that code (but don't copy) inside of a subclass of the EntityChicken class, kill the chicken when you mount it and replace it with your rideable chicken.

Another option would be to modify the code inside of the Chicken class which would be very hard because it had to be done in Bytecode or make a pig render as a chicken.

I hope I could help you a bit.

I would probably choose the first method...

PM's regarding modding questions should belong in the Modder Support sub-forum and won't be answered.

I created some of my own ridable classes and I think it was the jump button it didn't automtically pass right and I had to add a packethandler for.  Something to watch out for.

Long time Bukkit & Forge Programmer

Happy to try and help

Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.mountEntity(event.target);

Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer is the player on the client, that's why it visually looks like you're on the chicken, but you're actually not. use event.player to let the player mount the chicken on the server.

I made the Mob Particles mod, you can check it out here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2709242-172-forge-mob-particles/

Thank you to all that have posted and contributed to this thread, you have all been very helpful! I was afraid I would have to do something like that, but if I have to I guess I will. I knew before making this thread that the horse and pig classes imported and utilized the EntityAIControlledByPlayer class; I just thought there would be another way even if it was slightly more difficult. I have now changed "Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer" to just "event.entityPlayer" and it works exactly as you said, but obviously that doesn't fix the control problem.