[SOLVED] Detect what item is held in the player's hand

Toastrackenigma

Hello everyone,

I've made a block which should do something when right-clicked on if the player currently has a diamond in their hand. If they don't, it should do nothing. However, the if statement always says that there is no diamond in the player's hand, even if there is.

Here is my code:

public boolean onBlockActivated(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int par6, float par7, float par8, float par9) {
	if (player.getHeldItem()!=null) {
		String theitem = player.getHeldItem().getUnlocalizedName().substring(5);
		if (theitem == "diamond") {
			System.out.println("Is a diamond!");
		}
		else {
			System.out.println("Not a diamond");
		}
	}
	return true;
}

In the above code, Not a diamond is always printed.

I have tried putting "diamond" in a variable and then comparing the two variables, I used

System.out.println(player.getHeldItem().getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

to output whatever item the player had in their hand and it said "diamond" in the console. So does that mean that "diamond" != "diamond"?

I even put this in before the if statement:

System.out.println(player.getHeldItem().getUnlocalizedName().substring(5)=="diamond");

It always returned false.

So, could someone please help / tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-Toastrackenigma

have you tried outputting the name to the console so you know what value to use?

String theitem = player.getHeldItem().getUnlocalizedName().substring(5);

System.out.println(theitem);?

also remember you are using "substring(5)" so you probably want

if (theitem.toLowerCase().equals("diamo"))

I used

System.out.println(player.getHeldItem().getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));

to output whatever item the player had in their hand and it said "diamond" in the console. So does that mean that "diamond" != "diamond"?

I do know what value to use :)

Also, toLowerCase() doesn't seem to change anything :/

in java, you cannot use == operator for strings, it checks for references, not the hash code of the string. Instead, use:

theitem.equals("diamond");

also remember you are using "substring(5)" so you probably want

if (theitem.toLowerCase().equals("diamo"))

No! substring(5) gives you the string starting from index 5. he used that because getUnlocalizedName prefixes "tile." to blocks' names and "item." to items' names

No! substring(5) gives you the string starting from index 5. he used that because getUnlocalizedName prefixes "tile." to blocks' names and "item." to items' names

Ah right derp, I haven't used subString for a long time now so forgot how it actually works. My bad.

And the reason why I tossed .toLowerCase() in is because some of my custom items I use camel case like itemRelic and if I wanted to compare "itemRelic" to "itemrelic" it won't work (or would it?) so I just make them both lowercase to be safe.

And the reason why I tossed .toLowerCase() in is because some of my custom items I use camel case like itemRelic and if I wanted to compare "itemRelic" to "itemrelic" it won't work (or would it?) so I just make them both lowercase to be safe.

You can use .equalsIgnoreCase if you're worried about cases