Change Block Texture on Right-Click

Noodly_Doodly

override "onBlockActivated"

params in it are :World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player, int side, float hitX, float hitY, float hitZ

then inside you can check for the player.getHeldItem() and set the blocks metaData

if(!world.isRemote) 
{
   if (player.getHeldItem().getItem().equals(Items.apple))
   world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, metaData, 2);
}
return true;

metaData will be 0-15 (16 spots? from what I remember people saying) and all you have to do is register your icons and display the correct one through the GetIcon method.

Sorry for being away for 3 days, but now I have another question. I used the above code, but now I need it to be so that I can switch the block from metadata 0 to metadata 1 and back again an unlimited number of times. No matter where I place my "while (true) {" or "do {" 's, I still can only change the metadata once. How could I do this?

Do you need to change metadata more than once after every click?

While(true) is a terrible idea, as the game will freeze since it will stop 'ticking'.

If you want to toggle it every time it's clicked then you can do something like

world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, metadata == 0 ? 1 : 0, FLAG)

If you want to change independently every tick from the moment it was clicked, however, I suggest a TileEntity.

If you want it to change independently every so often from the moment it was clicked you could probably get away with setTickRandomly and using the method that gets called then (onUpdate or onUpdateTick or something)

BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP READ THE EAQ!

I'll help if I can. Apologies if I do something obviously stupid. :D

If you don't know basic Java yet, go and follow these tutorials.

Read the JavaDoc comments.

/**

* Sets the blocks metadata and if set will then notify blocks that this block changed, depending on the flag. Args:

* x, y, z, metadata, flag. See setBlock for flag description

*/

/**

* Sets the block ID and metadata at a given location. Args: X, Y, Z, new block ID, new metadata, flags. Flag 1 will

* cause a block update. Flag 2 will send the change to clients (you almost always want this). Flag 4 prevents the

* block from being re-rendered, if this is a client world. Flags can be added together.

*/

You're probably gonna use 3 (flag 2 + flag 1).

Also remember to use world.getBlockMetadata(x, y, z) in place of metadata, you can't use an instance variable as there is only 1 instance of a block ever.

BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP READ THE EAQ!

I'll help if I can. Apologies if I do something obviously stupid. :D

If you don't know basic Java yet, go and follow these tutorials.