(followup) Forge (251) generates dock icons on Mac even when run "nogui"

keybounce

I do not get dock icons with vanilla 1.3.2 servers.

I did not get dock icons with 1.2.5 servers with forge.

I am only getting dock icons now, with 1.3.2 and forge.

Based on that, I'm concluding that forge is doing something now, that is causing dock icons to show up for applications that have no gui and no need for a dock icon.

I do want dock icons to appear for java apps that need them.

The idea of "Disable them system wide to get rid of them in this one program" is a bad one.

And, for what it's worth, I could not find any setting in the java preferences to disable icon creation.

Jeb! The sheep! The fence pens, they do nothing still leak!

Didn't you post about that a while ago?

Have you updated forge?

And yeah, can you just accept the fact that it's a jvm side effect, like I told you the other time?

It's a "quirk" of Apple Java. Live with it.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting, but yeah, life is just pissing me off lately.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Didn't you post about that a while ago?

Have you updated forge?

And yeah, can you just accept the fact that it's a jvm side effect, like I told you the other time?

It's a "quirk" of Apple Java. Live with it.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting, but yeah, life is just pissing me off lately.

Last I checked, 251 was still the recommended release, and Mystcraft has too many issues with anything newer.

I do not accept that it is just a side effect of Apple Java. Many other java programs can run without bringing up a new icon.

I did mention it before; Lex posted his opinion and then locked the thread so I could not respond.

A bug is a bug. It's one thing to say "Too minor to fix". I can respond with why I think it's not minor, and why it causes me problems (makes the dock wider, blocks the otherwise visible space on the bottom where I have windows position to provide me with status information, etc).

But to say "No, it's not a bug, our code is just perfect"?

Jeb! The sheep! The fence pens, they do nothing still leak!

I have never said Forge was perfect, either way, its java creating your dock icon for one reason or another.

NOT Minecraft NOT Forge.

So ya, find out how to turn it off in your java config. Or live with it.

The latest version of FML {and Forge} now bypass what we *think* would cause this, along with other issues with miss-configured JREs. So you can give it a try but if it doesn't fix it, it really isn't a issue, you loose a whole 32px of space until your dock hides inactive icons. Big deal..

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon