Adding particles

muddyfish

I don't seem to be able to find a tutorial for how to add custom particles to my mod.

Would I have to rewrite EffectRenderer and add my own effects as Forge doesn't seen to support custom textures for it?

If I had to do so, how would I make the update loop be called every frame?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I've taken a look at it, my particle currently looks like

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public class ParticleTwilight extends EntityFX
{
    public ParticleTwilight(World par1World, double par2, double par4, double par6, double par10, double par12)
    {
        this(par1World, par2, par4, par6, par10, 1.0F);
    }

public ParticleTwilight(World world, double x, double y, double z, double motionY, float scale)
    {
        super(world, x, y, z, 0.0D, 0.0D, 0.0D);
        this.motionX = 0;
        this.motionZ = 0;
        this.motionY += motionY;
        this.setRBGColorF(0,0,0);
        this.setAlphaF(0.8F);
        this.setParticleTextureIndex(32);
        this.particleScale *= scale;
        this.particleMaxAge = (int)(8.0D / (Math.random() * 0.8D + 0.2D));
        this.particleMaxAge = (int)((float)this.particleMaxAge * scale);
        this.noClip = true;
    }

public void onUpdate()
    {
        this.rotationYaw += 0.1;
        if (this.particleAge++ >= this.particleMaxAge) this.setDead();

this.motionY += 0.05D;
        this.moveEntity(this.motionX, this.motionY, this.motionZ);

this.motionY *= 0.95D;
    }
}

However when I spawn it, it doesn't render.

Firstly, am I doing it all wrong?

This is based of the bubble particle but my particle should just be a simple filled colour (maybe with alpha) texture. Do I actually need to bind a texture to OpenGL? Your code seems a little over the top for my purposes. My code just uses the vanilla draw function at the moment, how should I need to change it in order for it to blit a simple black square that can be rotated in 3d?

That looks intersting. I would really appreciate a tutorial on the wiki.

Just wondering, what is the following line used for?

this.setParticleTextureIndex(32);[/Code]

Do i have to register my particle-image in a TextureIndex with an id?

EDIT:

Just read Draco18s' Class, why don't you simply overwrite the renderParticle class and use a Tessellator like him?

The only thing I am unsure about is whether you have to register this in your main class or in your ClientProxy.

Here could be your advertisement!

Just read Draco18s' Class, why don't you simply overwrite the renderParticle class and use a Tessellator like him?

The only thing I am unsure about is whether you have to register this in your main class or in your ClientProxy.

I think I hodge-poged my code together from looking at how other mods did it.  And no, there's no registration in either the main mod class or the client registry (I just looked, and all of those classes are on git).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Just wondering, what is the following line used for?

this.setParticleTextureIndex(32);[/Code]

I believe that this line in vanilla sets the texture to be the 4,0 coord in the texture.

[Code]this.setParticleTextureIndex(32);[/Code]

Why am I not using a tessellator? I thought the vanilla system should support drawing a black square... Also I am unsure of how they work. I mean I could copy&paste it but it wouldn't mean I understand it.

The Tessellator is how vanilla draws black squares.