[1.7.10] [SOLVED] ridingEntity and riddenByEntity return null

Rui

Alright.. so... maybe this was a "duh" sort of thing, but originally I just had it so the player was passed into the method and not the pig (which was stored in a global). Upon passing the pig into the method, I was able to use setLocationAndAngles to correct the jittering. Hurrah!

The player still occasionally bobs, but I'm not sure if I can do much about that. Right now I have the position update alternating with a single sleep tick so the comp doesn't go nuts while updating.

------------ SOLVED -------------

I need to update the rider's position on my new model for the pig since it is no longer in the correct area, however...

Whenever I call ridingEntity or riddenByEntity, they both return null-- even while riding the entity. I have tried this with the EntityJoinWorldEvent for both the player and pig, as well as EntityInteractEvent for the player. For the EntityJoinWorldEvent I have tried it by mounting a pig, then restarting the game (so i  would be mounted when I joined), and for EntityInteractEvent I of course mounted the pig once it was saddled. For some reason when the player is the object of the event, the method gets called twice, but in any circumstance the values return null when they should be returning an entity.

I don't have any code yet, just a print statement to show me the result of ridingEntity/riddenByEntity in an EntityJoinWorldEvent. So, what's going on,  and how am I actually supposed to detect if a pig is being ridden or if a player is riding a pig?

Okay, so I tested out a theory and it was right. I'm not sure why, but it takes the game a moment to set the ridingEntity and riddenByEntity variables. So I made a thread specifically to wait for this change.

With EntityPlayer as the parameter in EntityJoinWorldEvent it still gets called twice. Does anyone know why?

Made the change to check for EntityPlayerMP instead of EntityPlayer. It cuts it down to one call, but is it an acceptable way of dealing with that problem?

Meanwhile, I'm having trouble actually updating the rider's position. Using setLocation and setLocationAndAngles don't seem to have any effect (other than making my computer's fans whirr). Not particularly happy about the position being coded in on the Player's side... who's wise idea was that? Anyway, if anyone can give me an idea for how to change the player's position, that would be great.

Those 2 calls you get is because of server and client. Just check for

worldObj.isRemote == false

to make sure you're on the server.

To update the rider's position, override

updateRiderPosition

and use

this.riddenByEntity.setPosition(x, y, z)

. Make sure you do not check for the server here, you need to do that on both client and server or else it will stutter.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Those 2 calls you get is because of server and client. Just check for

worldObj.isRemote == false

to make sure you're on the server.

To update the rider's position, override

updateRiderPosition

and use

this.riddenByEntity.setPosition(x, y, z)

. Make sure you do not check for the server here, you need to do that on both client and server or else it will stutter.

Ah, thank you for that first answer, I'll definitely change that.

I can't override updateRiderPosition though. I'm kind of hacking the original pig entity with events and such, so unfortunately method overriding is unavailable for me.

While I'm at it, could someone tell me how to add mods to eclipse? I tried just shoving the mods into the "mods" folder, but it crashed because it couldn't find the appropriate classes.

That's because the standard mods are obuscated to work in a normal environment, and not in a dev-environment. To solve this, add CodeChickenCore to the mods folder, as it will runtime-deobfuscate the mods so they can work in a dev-environment.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Excellent, thank you!

Well, with some more testing I found that the position of the player DOES change... but the render doesn't. I don't... <i>why doesn't the render update to reflect the position</i>.

Guess that means I'll have to do it myself. Um... any ideas?

Alright, I'm an idiot. Of course you don't put a check for the server, because then the client has no idea that you've moved. A hurr durr.

New problem: For some reason if you enter the world already mounted on a pig, the pig refuses to move. It can turn, but not move. Otherwise, when you mount a pig the pig's body jerks awkwardly as it moves. I tried doing setLocationAndAngles() for the pig, but then the render wouldn't update to reflect the pig's movement and yaw/pitch.

Relevant class: http://pastebin.com/q3aNZ5wq