How about run-time altered icons

Draco18s

My guess is likely going to be "no, you can't do that" but I thought I'd ask.

Is there a way I can take an existing icon (either by grabbing it from a block that was already registered or via the IIconRegister) and modify the texture data, prerendering an overlay?

All in the purpose of "making my life a little easier through code."

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Hrm, alrighty then.

Question sort of arose as I was getting up from my computer, so I wasn't sure where to look nor did I have the time TO look.  But thanks for the pointer. :)

But yeah, rather than take the same 7 or 8 overlays and apply them to the same four base textures and blob them all into the resources folder, it'd be "easier" to make the computer do it.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Alright, having a problem:

Not sure how to get access to the texture data.  There's TextureAtlasSprite#getFrameTextureData, but it says that Index: 0 is out of bounds, Size: 0

e.g. there's no texture data for that icon.  As far as I can tell, the TextureAtlasSprite stores its bitmap data in a protected list field, framesTextureData and once the resources are loaded, this list should contain 1 or more int[][] values (see: TextureAtlasSprite#loadSprite lines 249, 273 and 284).

Yes, I know that this list will be empty during the registerBlockIcons phase, but I've attempted to run-time-alter the texture data once when the game calls getIcon (at which point TextureAtlasSprite#loadSprite should already have been called).

public class BlockUnstableStone extends Block{
private IIcon[] icons;
private IIcon[] ticons;
private boolean iconsSet = false;

@Override
public void registerBlockIcons(IIconRegister iconRegister) {
	TextureAtlasSprite sprite;
	this.icons = new IIcon[9];
	this.ticons = new IIcon[7];

icons[1] = icons[0] = ((TextureAtlasSprite) iconRegister.registerIcon(this.textureName)); //base, original texture

for(int o = 0; o < 7; o++) {
		ticons[o] = iconRegister.registerIcon("hazards:stone_overlay_"+o); //the common overlay texture 
		icons[o+2] = iconRegister.registerIcon(this.textureName+"_"+"damaged_"+o); //uniquely named, non-existent texture
	}
}
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
@Override
    	public IIcon getIcon(int side, int metadata) {
	if(!iconsSet) {
		TextureAtlasSprite temp;
		int[][] overlay;
		int[][] base;
		int[][] newIconData;
		int sr, sg, sb;
		float sa;
		int dr, dg, db;

for(int o = 0; o < 7; o++) {
			overlay = StoneRegistry.getIconOverlay(o); //get the pixel data if cached
			if(overlay == null) { //get the pixel data and cache it
				temp = (TextureAtlasSprite)ticons[o];
				overlay = temp.getFrameTextureData(0); //crash here
				StoneRegistry.setIconOverlay(overlay.clone());
			}
			base = ((TextureAtlasSprite)icons[0]).getFrameTextureData(0);
			//combine
				newIconData = base.clone();
				for(int x=0; x < newIconData.length; x++) {
					for(int y=0; y < newIconData[x].length; y++) {
						sa = (overlay[x][y] >> 24 & 255)/255f;
						sr = overlay[x][y] >> 16 & 255;
						sg = overlay[x][y] >> 8 & 255;
						sb = overlay[x][y] >> 0 & 255;
						//da = 0xFF;
						dr = newIconData[x][y] >> 16 & 255;
						dg = newIconData[x][y] >> 8 & 255;
						db = newIconData[x][y] >> 0 & 255;

dr = (int) (sr*sa + dr*(1-sa));
						dg = (int) (sg*sa + dg*(1-sa));
						db = (int) (sb*sa + db*(1-sa));

newIconData[x][y] = (dr<<16) + (dg<< + (db);
					}
				}
			List data = new ArrayList();
			data.add(newIconData);
			((TextureAtlasSprite)icons[o+2]).setFramesTextureData(data);
		}
	}
	if(metadata > 3) {
		metadata = 3;
	}
        return this.icons[metadata];
    }
}

Whole class

Digging around, those functions are only good for animated textures.  Non-animating ones never use the list and instead have their data built into the sprite sheet.

But I still can't find a way to get the texture data in that sprite sheet.  There's a function in TextureUtil to modify the data, but not retrieve it.

Uh... uhm.. What are you doing?! :D

No fuckin' clue :D

To add on what diesieben07 said, you need a subclass of TextureAtlasSprite. Mine is a variation of the vanilla compass texture (it just points to a different location).

https://github.com/SanAndreasP/EnderStuffPlus/blob/master/java/de/sanandrew/mods/enderstuffp/client/util/TextureAvisCompass.java

I also have a texture file, but you don't really need one, you can just supply your own image data (look at the methods inside the TextureAtlasSprite class)

Next thing is you need to register a new instance of your custom sprite and hold this instance in a variable for the item to return as IIcon. So handle the TextureStitchEvent.Pre to register it to the texture map:

https://github.com/SanAndreasP/EnderStuffPlus/blob/master/java/de/sanandrew/mods/enderstuffp/client/event/TextureStitchHandler.java

and set the itemIcon field to the instance of the sprite instance (You can of course use the IIcon-returning methods if you happen to have multiple textures):

https://github.com/SanAndreasP/EnderStuffPlus/blob/master/java/de/sanandrew/mods/enderstuffp/item/ItemAvisCompass.java#L65

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Ok, yeah, I'm not sure how that's going to help me at all.

What I want to do is take an icon that isn't mine (vanilla stone and the 1.8 stones supplied by Gany's Surface--if present--as I'm still working with 1.7.10) and modify them based on block metadata so that they have different appearances, as the metadata versions have different behaviors.

I want to take two sets of texture data:

width=16 height=16http://s10.postimg.org/5ut5g05r9/stone_overlay_0.png[/img]width=16 height=16http://s15.postimg.org/u92typ1x3/stone_overlay_1.png[/img]width=16 height=16http://s15.postimg.org/iy06abv1z/stone_overlay_5.png[/img]

stone_granite.pngstone_diorite.pngstone_andesite.png

And combine them into a single set of texture data, so that I can supply 7 overlays and generate the required 8 icons (original, original/overlay1, original/overlay2, etc) without having to do this:

ores.png

Which was a huge pain in the ass, as I kept screwing up and having to redo it.

Can't you use a custom renderer to render the stone layer first and then render your custom stuff after that?

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

I can do a two-pass render and have OpenGL do the blending, sure.  But the question I asked was if I could get access to the texture data and prebake the overlay, saving the result as an iicon.

I'm not averse to mucking around with bitmap data.  I've done run-time graphics before, for different things (one was a DynamicTexture object which was drawn in a GUI and

, the other was procedural graphic sprites done in Flash).

The former is inappropriate for a block texture, as the texture is not dynamic: it's two static images pre-rendered into a single icon.  The latter is more appropriate, but I don't know how to do that within Minecraft's iicon system.