Custom fire block won't burn entities, works fine on blocks.

WolfAmaril

Minecraft hardcodes the Blocks that burn entities. The corresponding forge-hook is

isBurning

, override that in your Block class.

Darn you beat me to it lol guess i need to get faster at searching through the minecraft code.

You've got to be pretty quick on the draw to beat dieSieben, that's for sure...

OK, that fixed half my problems.

Only problem left is the stupid thing doesn't go out when punched, you need to break the block that's on fire to extinguish it.

Any ideas, or am I just missing the code to give it a proper bounding box?

package com.wolfamaril.coloredflame.block;

import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.Side;

import cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

import net.minecraft.block.material.MapColor;

import net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.IIconRegister;

import net.minecraft.util.IIcon;

import net.minecraft.world.IBlockAccess;

import net.minecraft.world.World;

import java.util.Random;

public abstract class BlockFireColoredBase extends BlockColoredFlame

{

public BlockFireColoredBase()

{

super();

this.setLightLevel(1.0F);

}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

private IIcon[] icon;

public boolean isBurning(IBlockAccess world, int x, int y, int z)

{

return true;

}

public boolean isOpaqueCube()

{

return false;

}

public boolean renderAsNormalBlock()

{

return false;

}

public int getRenderType()

{

return 3;

}

public int quantityDropped(Random dropped)

{

return 0;

}

public int tickRate(World world)

{

return 30;

}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

public void registerBlockIcons(IIconRegister fireIcon)

{

this.icon = new IIcon[] {fireIcon.registerIcon(this.getTextureName() + "_layer_0"), fireIcon.registerIcon(this.getTextureName() + "_layer_1")};

}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

public IIcon getFireIcon(int fireIconInt)

{

return this.icon[fireIconInt];

}

/**

* Gets the block's texture. Args: side, meta

*/

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

public IIcon getIcon(int p_149691_1_, int p_149691_2_)

{

return this.icon[0];

}

public MapColor getMapColor(int mapColor)

{

return MapColor.tntColor;

}

}

So I poked around, got a few errors, and now have this

public void onBlockClicked(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityPlayer player)

{

World.extinguishFire(player, x, y, z,);

}

However, I'm now getting "non-static method cannot be referenced from a static context"

So how do I fix that, as nowhere in the class I'm working on does it call anything static.

Congratulations, you just figured out the reason I'm writing basic mods for minecraft.

The answer: Cause the Java classes available to me are next to useless.

So either help, or stop filling up this thread and let somebody who's willing to help do it.

Also, I'd already figured out the part about needing an instance of world, and getting it from the onBlockClicked method. I just don't know how to put it into my extinguishFire method.

Here's the code https://github.com/WolfAmaril/ColoredFlame/blob/master/src/main/java/com/wolfamaril/coloredflame/block/BlockFireColoredBase.java

Ok, pretty sure I almost got it, but I the problem is performing a correct override breaks the extinguishFire method, which requires the int blockDirection, and adding the int blockDirection to my onBlockClicked deceleration breaks the override.

Where would I start fixing this?

Wait, no, I think I have an idea. Is there a forge hook to get the direction a block was clicked from?

If there is i dont know it but you could just leave that out altogether. It wouldnt work exactly like vanilla fire but it would go out when you hit it. I think that is used to check that you hit the bottom of the block so without it it wouldnt matter where you click as long as you hit the fire block. I may be wrong. 

Edit: You may be able to use ray tracing.

I am the author of Draconic Evolution

After some research, experimenting, and playing around with mods that are made by people vastly more skilled in Java than I, I have determined one thing.

This is probably one of the hardest things to attempt to do with a mod.

That is to say, make a custom fire block that goes out when hit.

Also, I am tired, it's the start of (my) weekend, so I'm just gonna sleep on it for a bit.

Oh come on dont make it sound so impossible. I happen to have a custom fire block im my mod that also dose not go out when you left click it (Thats the way i want it) It took me 2 minutes to achieve what you are trying to do using PlayerInteractEvent.

Here is part of what i came up with.

@SubscribeEvent
public void playerInteract(PlayerInteractEvent event){
if (event.action == PlayerInteractEvent.Action.LEFT_CLICK_BLOCK){
	if (event.world.getBlock(event.x, event.y + 1, event.z) == "Your fire block"){
		event.world.setBlockToAir(event.x, event.y + 1, event.z);
	}
}
}

That will extinguish the fire if you click the block under it. However it will not work if the fire is on the side of a block i will let you figure that part out for yourself but i have done most of the work for you.

Hint: ForgeDirection will be a big help.

Oh come on dont make it sound so impossible. I happen to have a custom fire block im my mod that also dose not go out when you left click it (Thats the way i want it) It took me 2 minutes to achieve what you are trying to do using PlayerInteractEvent.

Here is part of what i came up with.

@SubscribeEvent
public void playerInteract(PlayerInteractEvent event){
if (event.action == PlayerInteractEvent.Action.LEFT_CLICK_BLOCK){
	if (event.world.getBlock(event.x, event.y + 1, event.z) == "Your fire block"){
		event.world.setBlockToAir(event.x, event.y + 1, event.z);
	}
}
}

That will extinguish the fire if you click the block under it. However it will not work if the fire is on the side of a block i will let you figure that part out for yourself but i have done most of the work for you.

Hint: ForgeDirection will be a big help.

Just spent a few hours trying to get this to work and, while I understand the theory behind it, I can't seem to get the Subscribe event so work right, and my EventHandler class is just kinda meh.

Hmm... That all looks correct try adding a System.out to the event handler to to check that it is actually getting called. Also maby rename your event handler class because there are a lot of classes called EventHandler.

Edit: Have you done anything to your block to make it possible to actually hit it? When you try to hit fire (including my custom fire block) you actually hit the block under/behind it because fire has no selection bounding box. The way the code i gave you works is it detects when a player left clicks a block (any block) and checks if the block above that block is your fire block if so it sets the block above the block you clicked to air.

Edit2: Looking at your code it looks like FireColoredBase is your base block and all of the actual blocks that exist in world extend that? If that is true

event.world.getBlock(event.x, event.y + 1, event.z) == ModBlocks.FireColoredBase

will never return true because FireColoredBase dosnt actually exist in world. To fix that use instanceof FireColoredBase instead of == ModBlocks.FireColoredBase

Edit3: Assuming that BlockFireColoredBase is a base class that you dont want to exist in game you should not have an instance of it in your ModBlocks class the isBurning override should be in the class itself and it should not be registered. (But thats assuming you dont want it registered in game)

One last thing... Look into java naming convention http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconventions-135099.html

IT WORKS IT WORKS THANK YOU IT WORKS!

I'd registered FireColoredBase to try and make instanceof works, but turns out that was wrong, so now it's not registered, so that's fixed.

Will probably just give my fire block a normal full block bounding box to make it easier to click and not have to add lots of code. That shouldn't make it solid form what I've seen.

What part of the naming convention did I screw up? My Java prof taught about 4 different naming conventions (none of which I'm actually convinced are the right one).

I'm not sure about which one you messed up, but naming something EventHandler, when you need to import an EventHandler class will really screw with the compiler unless you specify with the fully qualified name for the class you are wanting to use.

For example:

com.yourname.class.EventHandler would be a fully qualified name to determine which event handler class it should be using.

I was referring to the way you named your block instances in your ModBlocks class  e.g. "FireColoredBlack" should be "fireColoredBlack" Also giving your fire block a bounding box would make things simpler but i think fire with a bounding box would be a bit weird. It wont take much to get the code i gave you yo work properly.

Here is another really big hint

ForgeDirection face = ForgeDirection.getOrientation(event.face);
int x = event.x + face.offsetX;
int y = event.y + face.offsetY;
int z = event.z + face.offsetZ;
System.out.println(event.world.getBlock(x, y, z));