Auto assigned IDs are more trouble than they're worth

praryboy

I understand that Block ID conflicts are bothersome, and a lot of rookies don't even bother reading error logs and come bother you when those conflicts happen, but there is something that you need to take into account: Not all servers keep the same mod loadout indefinitely.

Here's the situation. I updated a few mods on my server including Buildcraft. Recent versions of Buildcraft made changes to their API and as such broke a couple other mods on my server. I removed those mods, doing so in the past with hard-coded IDs was a non-issue. No one used these mods and I was more than prepared to use a tool like mIDas to convert any ore they generated back into stone. Problem is, with your new Automagic ID system, forge decided that was a good time to shuffle all my IDs and straight up break the world and everything in it. Is this intended behaviour? There must be a better way to handle this, there is no reason for all the IDs to change just because some space opened up in the list. Do I have any options to save this?

Define 'Shuffle'

Unless you're doing some external editing to the world like midas, things should never be 'shuffled'.

As when a missing mapping occures, we prompt you to backup the world, and just keep chugging along like normal. Everything should get the same IDs as long as those block registries are there.

Now, I can not vouch for this process if you have certian mods installed because some have been known to break into our code because they think they know what they are doing but in turn just fuck shit up.

So, logs, mod packs, save file, etc.. More detail is needed.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Fair enough  :), I'm glad to hear this isn't what's supposed to happen! I'll admit I was frustrated beyond belief and assumed the worst.

I tried to isolate the problem. So I created a new singleplayer game with the old mod loadout, made a complete copy of the .minecraft folder and removed the mods I needed to remove, in this case being Rotarycraft and Reactorcraft and their prerequisite DragonAPI. This way there are no new mods or a different save file, this is two identical setups with only a couple mods taken out of the second one. For the record I'm using the recommended 1.7.10 build, 1230.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49321746/Info%20dump.rar

In here you will find the ID dumps from both the new client and the old one, the logs the new one produced when I loaded the save game, the test save game itself, and printouts of the mod list for each client, if you want to verify I didn't change anything more than I've claimed.

What you'll notice is that when the ID range reactorcraft and rotarycraft took up is vacated, all the mods that came after them had their IDs moved down to fill the gap. Adding any new or updated mods causes even more chaos, if you'd like I can try to produce some more logs and id dumps for that as well. I can also pack up all the mods and configs as well if necessary

sigh...

yep, I can confirm it. I removed a random other mod, Witchery in this case, and dumped the ID logs.  This time the block IDs didn't shuffle around, the IDs that witchery had were left empty, as would be expected. Apologies again for assuming forge was the culprit, I didn't know a forge mod could do something like this to the underlying workings of FML.

This now leaves me dependent on Reika to maintain compatibility with other mods just so I can keep the server current, which is annoying as I only added Reika's mods as a novelty, one that I quickly found no one was interested in pursuing.

Before I go to his thread on the minecraft forum, is there anything you guys can suggest to fix this myself? I'm proficient enough to write my own code or use any tool you could suggest

his fix is crap, he should never of done what he did in the first place and screwed things up, but alas I can't do things about people writing bad coremods.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon