[1.7.2] world.isRemote, entity.isClientWorld() and AI confusions

WorldsEnder

Hi guys, I stumbled over something really, really weird today and I can't wrap my head around it.

Suppose I have an entity (`entity`) and I want to execute some AI task on the server only. A few things I have noticed so far:

The entities AI is ONLY getting executed on the CLIENT because the AITaskManager has an if clause that is true when `entity.isClientWorld()`. Now, nothing special, but that IS a problem. Where do I execute my AI (reliantly) on the server only?

Secondly, I thought `world.isRemote` is `true` for clients but it turns out that #isClientWorld() return `!worldObj.isRemote()`.

Can somebody enlighten me where to place my AI logic? What use is it to execute AI on Client only? Is world.isRemote true or false on Clients?

if (world.isRemote) {
// Welcome to the client
} else {
// Welcome to the server
}

-Mitchellbrine

Minecraft can do ANYTHING, it's coded in Java and you got the full power of Java behind you when you code. So nothing is impossible.

It may be freaking fucking hard though, but still possible ;)

If you create a topic on Modder Support, live by this motto:

I don't want your charity, I want your information

The main part of the question is about the AI... why should the AI be executed ONLY on the Client and not on the Server, is there some secret I haven't found yet? How does target selection work if the AI is not present on the server at all?

Also (real source from EntityLivingBase):

public boolean isClientWorld()
    {
        return !this.worldObj.isRemote;
    }

WHAT? WHAT???!?!?!?!? I can confirm that this returns true for the <s>CLIENT</s>SERVER?!?!!

Edit: Eclipse tells me that world.isRemote is set to true wherever it is accessed.. unless the write-access find has bugs I can't understand why it should EVER be set to false

Ummm, shouldn't it be on both sides? Or am I wrong?

-Mitchellbrine

Minecraft can do ANYTHING, it's coded in Java and you got the full power of Java behind you when you code. So nothing is impossible.

Try it yourself or look at "EntityLivingBase#onLivingUpdate(), line 50", it says

else if (this.isClientWorld())
        {
            if (this.isAIEnabled())
            {
                this.worldObj.theProfiler.startSection("newAi");
                this.updateAITasks();
                this.worldObj.theProfiler.endSection();
            }
//....

EDIT: I want the mod to run on an integrated server aswell, just so you know.

Apparently, isClientWorld() returns the opposite of world.isRemote, so that means it's on the server.

So maybe, it isn't both sides, but it isn't the client if isClientWorld returns the opposite of world.isRemote.

-Mitchellbrine

So basically isClientWorld() is just the most misleading name to give to a method that is supposed to return true for the server?

Yep, the most deceiving name for a method. It would be better to name isRemote that, but tradition has kept isRemote the same.

-Mitchellbrine