[1.8][SOLVED] Tick Phase and tick.

Ernio

I am counting down from 10 to 0:

WorldTickEvent Phase END should fire after tick (at end).

LivingUpdateEvent - triggers in mid-tick.

//START
[14:59:48] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.entity.EffectMap:updateTickPost:120]: POST
[14:59:48] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.entity.EffectMap:updateTickPost:120]: POST
[14:59:49] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.entity.EffectMap:updateTickPost:120]: POST
[14:59:49] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.entity.EffectMap:updateTickPost:120]: POST
[14:59:49] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.entity.EffectMap:updateTickPost:123]: REMOVE

Inside LivingUpdateEvent I decrement by 1.

From what I read in code Phase START and END should happen BEFORE and AFTER.

worldserver.updateEntities();

Why am I getting this output in console?

Note: numbers are printed by LivingUpdateEvent, "POST" are printed by WorldTickEvent.

Is this bug with printing or something with threads - I can't have race conditions insie my EffectMap updating, this would break effect existance-time.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

@SubscribeEvent
public void onEntityTick(LivingUpdateEvent event)
{
	if (event.entity instanceof EntityPlayer)
	{
		if (FMLCommonHandler.instance().getEffectiveSide() == Side.SERVER)
		System.out.println("TICK");
// Code happens
	}
}

Note: I am using LivingUpdateEvent because this will be for all entities, I just converted it to Players only for testing.

@SubscribeEvent
public void onWorldTick(TickEvent.WorldTickEvent event)
{
	if (event.phase == Phase.END)
	{
		for (Object o : event.world.getLoadedEntityList())
		{
			if (o instanceof EntityPlayer)
			{
				System.out.println("POST**********");
				// Code happens
			}
		}
	}

[16:39:54] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.ForgeEvents:onEntityTick:136]: TICK
[16:39:54] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.FMLEvents:onWorldTick:95]: POST**********
[16:39:54] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.ForgeEvents:onEntityTick:136]: TICK
[16:39:54] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.FMLEvents:onWorldTick:95]: POST**********

This is very simplified, but still shows that sometimes there is double-ticking (I even had situation where there was 3 TICK and 3 POST)

Dafuq?

I knew you'd say that (you just hate Side don't you? xD).

That is still not the problem tho, using !world.isRemote leaves me with same console output.

I might not be understaning architecture of minecraft ticking that well, but I thought idea of ticks was to run one after another, not to run them simultainiously which they seem to be doing (based on logs).

Seriously what:

[16:55:16] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.ForgeEvents:onEntityTick:136]: TICK
[16:55:44] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.FMLEvents:onWorldTick:95]: POST**********
[16:55:44] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.ForgeEvents:onEntityTick:136]: TICK
[16:55:44] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.ForgeEvents:onEntityTick:136]: TICK
[16:55:44] [server thread/INFO] [sTDOUT]: [com.midstcraft.ernio.RoA.common.events.FMLEvents:onWorldTick:95]: POST**********

My guess is that there is something I don't know about logic behind "Skipping" ticks to catch up with data flow. Maybe I shouldn't be using Phases at all?

NOW WE ARE TALKING!

I'll just need to separate EntityPlayer from EntityLivingBase.

If what you are saying is everything I should know on this field updating Entities with WorldTick and player with PlayerTick will work just fine.

I shall get back here with results :)

Thanks!

Solution:

Use:

TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent(SERVER) to update server-side START and END tick of EntityPlayer.

TickEvent.WorldTickEvent(SERVER) to update server-side START and END tick of non-EntityPlayer entities.

LivingUpdateEvent(SERVER) to update mid-tick (actual tick) for all EntityLivingBase.

This closes thread.