Forge won't install?

Tires

I guess I should first mention I'm using the latest version of forge for minecraft 1.7.10. As I understand it, the 1.8 versions won't work if I'm playing an older version of minecraft. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the windows installer doesn't actually do anything.

So here's what I did, I hope someone can tell me where I went wrong:

I created a new profile from the default launcher, and set the directory as

C:\Users\Public\Public Games\minecraft-Thaumcraft

and I also set it to use minecraft 1.7.10

I then tried to install forge into this same directory.

On the installer, I chose "client version" and copied and pasted the above filepath into the browse window.

I ran the installer, and the first time I got a dialog that says it didn't install correctly... but I assumed windows was just mistaken.

I also moved my mod into the mods folder as instructed on their page, but the mod isn't loading, and as far as I can tell none of the files in the new minecraft folder are any different from my default .minecraft folder

How do I know FML is installed properly?

Is there a manual way to do it? I know my way around a filesystem and find installers difficult to troubleshoot when something breaks (like in this case) because there is usually no feedback on what is going on.

Ok, I went ahead and installed it and pointed to the default .minecraft as well, and still nothing.

I deleted the profile folders and ran the game to recreate them, now I don't see a mods folder.

Do I need to create this mods folder as well? I was hoping to have different profiles for modded vs latest-version minecraft

Edit:

I found this link... I guess if forge is installed, then there will be a forge profile and/or version option.

I don't have that option (either of them) available so it must have not installed properly.

What happens when you run the installer.

Unless it pops up a error everything was installed correctly.

Run it from the command line and see what it outputs.

The windows installer is just the jar installer wrapped in a program that finds and runs java.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

First time I ran the installer, I got the same message as in the video I linked to. (Successfully installed client profile Forge for version Forge 10.13.1230 into launcher and grabbed 17 required libraries)

but then I got a message from windows that said "This program may not have installed correctly"

I chose the "this program installed correctly" option

When I run it now, I get the same message except the number of libraries

("Successfully installed client profile Forge for version Forge 10.13.1230 into launcher and grabbed 0 required libraries")

However, there is no forge profile on my launcher, and forge isn't an option i can select when setting up a profile.

----------------

When I run the exe from command line, I don't get any outputs but it returns before the gui is even loaded.

I suspect what's happening is that the exe just extracts the jarfile, runs the jarfile in the background, and exits... in this case I wouldn't see any outputs regardless of what's happening.

If forge is in fact installed, I can't see any evidence of that being the case, and I can't run any mods.

-------------------------------

EDIT: Turn this into a bug report I think.  I found the issue... it turns out that since I'm not using an administrator account, the installer was defaulting to the administrator's %appdata% rather than the user's.  I haven't ran minecraft from the admin account yet, but I presume what happened was that forge was installed for that user instead.

I manually changed the address to point to the correct user on this computer and it works now.