How do you create a new filled_map via the API?

sshipway

So, I am trying to create a new microsoft:filled_map item.  It's pretty easy to make an empty one, or even one that will fill from the world map, but how do I set the contents dynamically?

If the game were offline, I could increment the counter in the idcounts.dat NBT, then create a new maps/map_#.dat file for the new ID, and create the item with the appropriate id set.  However, I'd like to do this online...

Is there an API call that I can use to set the map data (creating the map_#.dat and incrementing the idcounts.dat) from a colors array?

The intention for this is to be able to create a 'picture' (actually a filled map) in game from either an external file, or a view via a 'camera' object, that can be placed in an item frame for display.

Thanks for any suggestions or help...

Many thanks for the tip.  Your camera mod looks awesome, though it does not generate a filled_map but a custom photo object; if only this were available for 1.7.10 or 1.8 I'd install it immediately.  Fortunately for me, my chosen niche is not yet completely filled, as I'm planning on doing in-game conversion from external jpgs to filled_map objects.  I'll skip the 'camera' object part as you've already done that so well...