[1.7.10] Custom rendered block pushable by piston. [Abandoned]

Alphafox_13

I am very new to modding so I went on to youtube and watched a few tutorials and I now have two blocks in my mod one extends Block and the other extends BlockContainer.

The problem is that my regular block has no custom rendering I can however be pushed. as soon as i convert it to a BlockContainer (hence a tile entity the piston can no longer pushed it, now this doesnt seem right as rails and pane glass (blocks I am using as reference) can both be pushed by pistons and both are definitely custom rendered.

As i understand it the blocks can't be moved because of the attached data, so i would be in favour of removing tileentity completetly, however http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/mods-discussion/1410896-question-custom-rendered-block-without-tile suggest that its not possible to have custom rendering without tileentity.

Hi

Looking at the way the piston is implemented, I don't think it will be able to push blocks which have TileEntity information (it will cause the TileEntity to be destroyed/overwritten).

This might perhaps be ok if your TileEntity doesn't actually have any data stored in it - it might automatically discard & regenerate your TileEntity - but I'm not sure.

You could perhaps try it and see - just provide a simple TileEntity for your Block (don't use BlockContainer) and make sure Block.getMobilityFlag() returns 0.  No guarantees though.

I think you are right, you need a TileEntity to render using a TileEntitySpecialRenderer.  In 1.8 it's difficult to do custom block render without it (other choices are: ISmartBlockModel in some cases, or using ASM+Reflection to insert your custom rendering code into the vanilla code - which can be rather hard to get right).

What's the "custom" rendering actually do?

-TGG

In 1.7.10, it's possible to render a non-tile-entity block with ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler.

In 1.8, json models is good in most cases. In other cases I use ISmartBlockModel and ExtendedBlockState together to customize rendering.

Author of Tao Land Mod.

width=200 height=69http://taoland.herbix.me/images/1/14/TaoLandLogo.png[/img]

Also, author of RenderTo

----

I'm not an English native speaker. I just try my best.

Hi

Looking at the way the piston is implemented, I don't think it will be able to push blocks which have TileEntity information (it will cause the TileEntity to be destroyed/overwritten).

This might perhaps be ok if your TileEntity doesn't actually have any data stored in it - it might automatically discard & regenerate your TileEntity - but I'm not sure.

You could perhaps try it and see - just provide a simple TileEntity for your Block (don't use BlockContainer) and make sure Block.getMobilityFlag() returns 0.  No guarantees though.

I think you are right, you need a TileEntity to render using a TileEntitySpecialRenderer.  In 1.8 it's difficult to do custom block render without it (other choices are: ISmartBlockModel in some cases, or using ASM+Reflection to insert your custom rendering code into the vanilla code - which can be rather hard to get right).

What's the "custom" rendering actually do?

-TGG

I dont really want to render it a different way as it sounds harder

also are you sure i should be extending TileEntity

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Tile_Entities

say i need to Extend either BlockContainer or ITileEntityProvider

"You do not have to do it by extending BlockContainer (Despite it giving some useful methods); instead you could implement ITileEntityProvider into your block class."

public class BlockSail extends TileEntity{
public BlockSail(){
	/**super(material);
        this.isBlockContainer = false;
	this.setBlockName("sail");
	this.setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabTransport);
	this.setHardness(0.5F);
	this.setBlockBounds(0.0F, 0.0F, 0.4375F, 1.0F, 1.0F, 0.5625F);
	this.setBlockTextureName("sailsaddon"+":"+"sail");*/

}
/*public void setBlockBoundsForItemRender(){
	this.setBlockBounds(0.0F, 0.0F, 0.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F, 1.0F);
}*/
public int getRenderType(){
	return -1;
}
public boolean isOpaqueCube(){
	return false;
}
public boolean renderAsNormalBlock(){
	return true;
}
//**
public void onBlockPlacedBy(World world, int x, int y, int z, EntityLivingBase player){
        int dir = MathHelper.floor_double((double)((player.rotationYaw * 4F) / 360F) + 0.5D) & 3;
        switch (dir){
        case 0:
        	world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, dir, 0);
        break;
        case 1:
        	world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, dir, 1);
        break;
        case 2:
        	world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, dir, 0);
        break;
        case 3:
        	world.setBlockMetadataWithNotify(x, y, z, dir, 1);
        break;
        }

}//*/
/*@Override
public TileEntity createNewTileEntity(World var1, int var2) {
	return new TEsail();
}*/
}

That is the block class the problem is that it doesn't allow me to use the createNewTileEntity()

do i need to change  public class BlockSail extends TileEntity so that it implements something?

also i had to change the register type

public class RegisterBlocksItems {

public static Item TestItem;
public static void initItems(){
	TestItem = new ItemTestItem(); GameRegistry.registerItem(TestItem, "test");
}

public static TileEntity Sail;
public static Block Mast;
public static void initBlocks(){
	Sail = new BlockSail(); GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(BlockSail.class, "sail");
	Mast = new BlockMast(Material.wood); GameRegistry.registerBlock(Mast, "mast");

}
}

however that has caused my Recipies to fail

GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(new ItemStack(RegisterBlocksItems.Sail,9), new Object[]{
		"C",
		"C",
		'C',new ItemStack(Blocks.carpet)
	});

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h2quv5hqxfuq2ah/Sails.zip

What i plan to achieve:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/2384775-sails-masts-addon-for-ships-mod-help-needed

I dont really want to render it a different way as it sounds harder

also are you sure i should be extending TileEntity

No, you're right, that won't work if you try to have your Block extend TileEntity, because it will then be a TileEntity not a Block....

Your block needs to implement ITileEntityProvider.  It will need to provide a method for

TileEntity createNewTileEntity(World world, int metadata);

where the TileEntity it returns should be your very simple TileEntity class.

I would definitely recommend you use a TileEntity for what you're trying to do.  I don't think an ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler will work how you want.

Why do you worry about your TileEntity being pushable by pistons?  I don't think that is necessary for a ship?

-TGG