[1.8] Entity-sensitive rendering.

Ernio

I am making NPCs, and since it would be cool to have universal renderer I'd like to make rendering entity-sensitive.

What was in my mind:

public class EntityNPC extends EntityLiving
{
private String model = "biped";
private String texture = "steve";

So basically I am looking for a good way to make server TELL client what model/renderer/texture should this particular entity choose.

Goal:

Accept ANY registered renderer, any resource and model. (in case that client cant find it - render Biped steve)

I am still looking at code, so any info/ideas would be nice.

What bothers me is that each Entity.class has it's own STATIC renderer. So what I would have to do is actually override EVERYTHING from the most basic level - that is Render.class to make all methods actually read my entity.

Questions:

- How to get all models registered on client?

- How much does server know? I will probably have to use reference HashMaps that will be read with packet.

Just to clarify:

I spawn NPC:  /npc create render:dragon texture:reddragon

Entity on client side obviously receives packet with some string values like "render:dragon" and "texture:reddragon"

and my renderer tries to make this entity be rendered using RenderDragon.class with texture (Render.getEntityTexture(Entity entity))

also provided.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

I got some idea by looking at IChun's Morph mod, and I decided to only make good preparations (abstractions) for future (since I have lot of other more important things to code).

Interesting resources:

Citizens2 - allows to make e.g sheep NPCs.

IChun's Morph - make "wtf" models for entities.

Problem postponed.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.