[1.7.10] Need my item to get the players display name

HappyKiller1O1

Heyo! So, my question here today is how would I be able to right click a player with my item and then, grab the players display name to save the the itemstack NBT. Pretty simple so thanks for the input in advance. :P

I am not a cat. I know my profile picture is sexy and amazing beyond anything you could imagine but my cat like features only persist in my fierce eyes. I might be a cat.

You can override the method itemInteractionForEntity() in your Item class to handle the right clicking of a player. You can use the method getDisplayName() in the EntityPlayer class to get a player's name, and you can save the name to nbt using the nbt methods in ItemStack.

Sample (Not tested):

@Override
public boolean itemInteractionForEntity(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, EntityLivingBase livingBase) {
    if (livingBase instanceof EntityPlayer) {
        NBTTagCompound tagCompound = new NBTTagCompound();
        tagCompound.setString("playerName", ((EntityPlayer) livingBase).getDisplayName());
        stack.setTagCompound(tagCompound);
        return true;
    }
    return false;
}

Now see, I tried that but, when I right clicked a player (tested it on a server) it returned nothing as if it wasn't the player.

I am not a cat. I know my profile picture is sexy and amazing beyond anything you could imagine but my cat like features only persist in my fierce eyes. I might be a cat.

Sorry. xD I mean when I right clicked the player it didn't run the code. I'm not sure if you're suppose to use the EntityPlayer provided.

Well, I made a server and had my brother join. xD I did add this though:

if(entityLiving.worldObj.isRemote) {
    return false;
}

Would that break the code?

Well, basically I have it add information if the stack NBT tag is not null. The information on the item was not set so, it didn't run. I commented out my system print outs by accident before running the server and shit. DERP

If I understand you correctly, you're only letting the item be set if it has already been set before (Because an item's nbt tag, by default, is null). You probably want that the other way around.

Sorry, it occured to me that you probably aren't talking about setting the tag in itemInteractionForEntity(). Can I see your code for adding the information?

Actually I am. xD I probably messed something up because I wrote it late at night. :P Here's the two methods:

public boolean itemInteractionForEntity(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, EntityLivingBase entity) {
    	if(entity.worldObj.isRemote) {
    		return false;
    	}

if(entity instanceof EntityPlayer) {
        	EntityPlayer victim = (EntityPlayer)entity;

NBTTagCompound cmp = new NBTTagCompound();

String displayName = victim.getDisplayName();

cmp.setString("victim", displayName);

stack.setTagCompound(cmp);

System.out.println("ORIGINAL DISPLAY NAME: " + displayName);
        	System.out.println("SAVED DISPLAY NAME: " + cmp.getString("victim"));

return true;
        }

return false;
    }

public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, List list, boolean flag) {
	String defaultDisplay = "No Victim Set";
	String victimDisplay = null;

if(stack.stackTagCompound != null) {
		victimDisplay = stack.stackTagCompound.getString("victim");
	}

list.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_AQUA + "When right clicked, it fires");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_AQUA + "lightning upon the bound player.");
	list.add("");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.RED + "Can only be used four times.");
	list.add("");
	list.add(victimDisplay != null ? victimDisplay : defaultDisplay);
	list.add("");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.GREEN + "Hold Shift and Right-Click to");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.GREEN + "open the victim set menu.");
}

I get the display name because of name changing not being implemented in 1.7.10. Once I update it I'll change the code. :P

No, it is implemented for all versions, if you change your name it will change everywhere. That's why you need to use uuid.

What I read is that only 1.8 and above will see viewable changes to the display name. But might as well take your advice. How would I go about using UUID for the display name?

Now see, I understand using the UUID for the player. But how would I get the display name? Would I do something like this?:

EntityPlayer player = entityLiving.worldObj.getEntityByID(//Player UUID).getDisplayName();

So, the reason why it's not displaying the name is because the stack compound tag is null. I'm not sure how considering the server console says it set the tag. Here's my code (Will use UUID after my testing is complete):

public boolean itemInteractionForEntity(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, EntityLivingBase entity) {
    	if(entity.worldObj.isRemote) {
    		return false;
    	}

if(entity instanceof EntityPlayer) {
        	System.out.println("ENTITY GOTTEN");

EntityPlayer victim = (EntityPlayer)entity;

NBTTagCompound cmp = new NBTTagCompound();

String displayName = victim.getDisplayName();

cmp.setString("victim", displayName);

stack.setTagCompound(cmp);

System.out.println("ORIGINAL DISPLAY NAME: " + displayName);
        	System.out.println("SAVED DISPLAY NAME: " + cmp.getString("victim"));

return true;
        }else {
        	System.out.println("ENTITY WAS NOT PLAYER");
        }

return false;
    }

public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, List list, boolean flag) {
	String defaultDisplay = "No Victim Set";
	String victimDisplay = null;

if(stack.getTagCompound() != null) {
		System.out.println("STACK COMPOUND WAS NOT NULL");
		victimDisplay = stack.getTagCompound().getString("victim");
	}else {
		System.out.println("STACK COMPOUND WAS NULL");
	}

list.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_AQUA + "When right clicked, it fires");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.DARK_AQUA + "lightning upon the bound player.");
	list.add("");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.RED + "Can only be used four times.");
	list.add("");
	list.add(victimDisplay != null ? victimDisplay : defaultDisplay);
	list.add("");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.GREEN + "Hold Shift and Right-Click to");
	list.add(EnumChatFormatting.GREEN + "open the victim set menu.");
}

Any reason why this is caused?