[1.7.10][SOLVED]Changing model at runtime

nosrick

Is it possible to change an entity's model at runtime?

I'm having some trouble with my tamagotchi mod, wherein my 'gotchi has to age up and change model. Now, I have two options; change the model at runtime, or instantiate a new class and delete the old instance.

So if it's not possible to change an entity's model at runtime, how would I go about deleting the old instance?

You can just make the model render different via any data of the entity...

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.

To make it more clear:

When you register your renderer to MyEntity.class you have full power over rendering.

You are passing entity arguments into render method - save some field inside entity (age) and use it insdie render method to e.g scale model down, or even use different model.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Sorry to bring up a slightly old topic, have been ill a few days.

So I've got texture swapping working, but not model swapping.

You are passing entity arguments into render method - save some field inside entity (age) and use it insdie render method to e.g scale model down, or even use different model.

How would I go about that? RenderEntityLiving's mainModel is a protected non-static value, and as far as I know, that's what's used for rendering. (Or renderPassModel, one of the two)

Wait what? Either i didnt understand what you ment or you just did something entirely not good.

You do realize there is ONE Renderer for ALL Entities, don't you? Changing one field will cause all entities to change their renderings (especially when it's static). It was alredy noted out that you should save variable inside ENTITY and load other model using that variable, not anything inside renderer itself.

Disclaimer - unless I didn't understand :D Then you are cool.

Edit

Also, unless you change the model field with every start of render method, that is cool too, I guess.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

I'll elaborate:

I realise there's one renderer for all entities, yes.

What I'm doing is saving the age within the entity, then when the entity changes life stages, it sets a static ModelBase in the renderer to the new model, then changes the model field at the start of every render call. Feels pretty hacky, but it gets the job done.

...I also get the feeling this shouldn't work. But it does, so yay!

I'll elaborate:

I realise there's one renderer for all entities, yes.

What I'm doing is saving the age within the entity, then when the entity changes life stages, it sets a static ModelBase in the renderer to the new model, then changes the model field at the start of every render call. Feels pretty hacky, but it gets the job done.

...I also get the feeling this shouldn't work. But it does, so yay!

That is not good.. Changing static field is really bad.

You should just have many models in the renderer, and gets the model you need using the age of the entity.

I. Stellarium for Minecraft: Configurable Universe for Minecraft! (WIP)

II. Stellar Sky, Better Star Rendering&Sky Utility mod, had separated from Stellarium.