Two Tutorial Requests

pro-mole

These are two topics I was expecting to find tutorials about, but actually didn't find much documentation. Granted, I didn't search THAT much, but I supposed it'd be more easily accessible. These are A) mcmod.info files and B) those handy forge configuration files.

Actually, if you check Viper's github, you'll find a class that is a cheap custom ripoff of Forge's Configuration class. Just compare it with Forge's.

All you need to use is a few functions from the Configuration class, not create a huge class to do what forge already does for you.

There was a great tutorial on that, I think it was part of the Generic Mod tutorial, look for it on forge tutorials in the forum index.

For mcmod.info, try opening forge's own mcmod.info, I found it pretty explanatory.

Did I help? Hitting 'Thank You' would be appreciated.

Soon, the lost city will rise from the bottom of the ocean, and spread it's technology across Minecraft.

And that makes it a good excuse to show people your square version of the wheel?

If you don't have code that does what people want, you don't show it. Still, if you know how to do that, you can tell them, and if you don't know, you don't say a thing.

Now, every time someone has a problem, you send them to your github, showing off your code, where you proudly reinvent the [square] wheel. And that, kind sir, is not acceptable.

In this particular case, this guy wanted something that is a 5 line solution, and you pointed him to a 525 line file and a class that does nothing besides creating an instance of another class.

@pro_mole: this is an adaptation from the code I use:

@PreInit
public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
	Configuration config = new Configuration(event.getSuggestedConfigurationFile()));
	config.load();
	int block_id = config.get(Configuration.CATEGORY_BLOCK, "property_name", default_block_id).getInt();
	config.save();
}

If you have any doubts, feel free to ask me. I'll gladly help.

Soon, the lost city will rise from the bottom of the ocean, and spread it's technology across Minecraft.

I was browsing the tutorial page today (considering making some tutorials) and I accidentally found what you need.

Here:

http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/How_to_make_an_advanced_configuration_file

Nah, it's actually pretty basic :)

The code behind that is advanced stuff, but you don't need to know how it works, just what methods from what classes you need to call.