Blocks with inventory?

atrain99

I am thoroughly confused about how to make a block have an inventory. I looked at the BlockChest and all related files, and I still don't get it. If anybody could explain how these files work together and what they do, I would be very grateful.

Also, what is an NBTTag?

So, what would happen if I did push that shiny red button over there? ... Really? ... Can I try it? ... Damn.

a block needs 4 files inorder to have an inventory that can be opened. BlockXXX.class, TileEntityXXX.class, ContainerXXX.class, and GuiXXX.class. Go find all the files that have furnace in there names and look at them. There should be 6 the other two file that i didn't list as need are Slot and recipes. I'm not sure if slot is need but recipes is only need if you want custom recipes for a block's crafting gui.

actually i think your block needs to extend blockcontainer, and then you need a tile entity to store your info, then a gui to acess and change the info

there might be another way but i don't know it yet :P, although its probably the easiest way

actually i think your block needs to extend blockcontainer, and then you need a tile entity to store your info, then a gui to acess and change the info

there might be another way but i don't know it yet :P, although its probably the easiest way

BlockContainer is not needed, just override the getTileEntity function, which is defined in Block, in your subclass.

BlockContainer is not needed, just override the getTileEntity function, which is defined in Block, in your subclass.

I tried that and it somehow did not work. The GUI of the block stopped working and basically it had no tile entity... BlockContainer works perfectly though. Is it not recommended to use BlockContainer?

It doesn't override getTileEntity, it adds an abstract method to define the entity which getTileEntity uses and makes sure to initialize the tileEntity in the world when the block is created. You could do this on your own but there's no point in doing that and you may end up forgetting something.

Dunno how this got there, but it's in the blockContainer in a forge 135 mcp:

/**

* Called when the block receives a client event - see World.sendClientEvent. By default, passes it on to the tile

* entity at this location. Args: world, x, y, z, event number, parameter

*/

public void receiveClientEvent(World par1World, int par2, int par3, int par4, int par5, int par6)

{

super.receiveClientEvent(par1World, par2, par3, par4, par5, par6);

TileEntity var7 = par1World.getBlockTileEntity(par2, par3, par4);

if (var7 != null)

{

var7.receiveClientEvent(par5, par6);

}

}

Also the getTileEntity in block says it's there for when someone wants to extend a vanilla block, and from what I understand he isn't doing that.

And the block code is missing the onBlockAdded and onBlockRemoval which set and remove the tile entity, so he'll have to do it manually if he extends block instead of blockcontainer

Edit: Now I see how it got there. It's in vanilla but the name changed recently in mcp from powerBlock to receiveClientEvent.