Check if block is player placed [SOLVED]

Atijaf

I was wondering if there would be a way to check if a player placed a block, efficiently.

Not an event that is called when a player places a block, but a variable within each block that can be set to true when a player places it down.

Not an event that is called when a player places a block, but a variable within each block that can be set to true when a player places it down.

Use  onBlockPlacedBy(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState state, EntityLivingBase placer, ItemStack stack) {} and check if placer is an instace of EntityPlayer

Read again.

---------

There is no "easy" way to do this. You either need to create placing storage or block replacements.

1. Storage:

Create smart BlockPos storage that when performing event you want (e.g BreakEvent) will be checked if given block's position is in storage (placed by player). Now problem is - it will be tricky to track every change and may provide false data as some point (you know - you need to track every damn change). It's also not very efficient, best way would be to hash BlockPos and put it in hashMap for fast access. Only way I see it and has to be done smart.

To save your "storage" you would need to implement WorldSaveData.

2. Block Replacement:

For every block you want to track you need to create replacement copy.

Since not-placed-by-player are placed by world you can hook into events that generate world and instead of placing vanilla ones, place yours.

YourStone = created by world (replaced via generation event)

Stone (vanilla) = placed by player, acts as normal stone.

Now you know that Stone was placed, and only stone that was NOT placed it the one you made world generate instead of normal one.

Both ways require some work and are not always "cool".

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Block doesn't have NBT, unless it's TileEntity. As to "boolean" - you can use metadata, but be warned that it is used by minecraft internals and won't work for vanilla - for your own block - sure, because you will read meta, for vanilla it's alredy used to define blocks.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

There is no "easy" way to do this. You either need to create placing storage or block replacements.

1. Storage:

Create smart BlockPos storage that when performing event you want (e.g BreakEvent) will be checked if given block's position is in storage (placed by player). Now problem is - it will be tricky to track every change and may provide false data as some point (you know - you need to track every damn change). It's also not very efficient, best way would be to hash BlockPos and put it in hashMap for fast access. Only way I see it and has to be done smart.

To save your "storage" you would need to implement WorldSaveData.

I will probably give this a go.  Is WorldSaveData the same in 1.8?  I'm having troubles with implementing it.

Edit: I extended WorldSavedData and am overriding readFromNBT and writeToNBT

Have look at this:

https://github.com/Questology/Questology/blob/master/src/main/java/demonmodders/questology/QuestologyWorldData.java

Something that I personally never used, but read/heard that some find solutions there (it looks good to me).

I had a look at it and am understanding what it is doing.  However, I am unsure how I would check the instance of that class if it holds the BlockPos of the block I'm breaking.  Would I use a hashMap for storing them?  Also, How would I go about using the variable BlockPos in a hashMap?

Thanks a bunch!

• 11 months later...

I understand that this post is old, but I have completed implementing a block storage that stores the location, and the block's id/meta.

I have a List of dimensions, -1 through 14. (-1 is actually 15), and any other dimensions can go up to 14.

Inside the list of dimensions, holds a sorted ArrayList of my "ChunkPos" objects. (These objects contain dimension Id, X and Z position.  48 bits... 4 bits dimension, 22 bits X, 22 bits Z) 

This chunk also holds a HashMap of my "ChunkBlockPos" objects.  (These objects contain x -4 bits, y -8 bits, and z-4 bits coords.  Along with the block Id -12 bits and meta -4 bits)

Each chunk is 48 bits, and each block within is 32 bits.  That is also calculated without java's overhead for my classes and whatnot...  Unfortunately, I had to include the block's id and meta, in case if the player places a sapling and it grows, the location of the sapling is now wood and that wood was not placed by a player.

And now for getting the information.  When a player places a block, it goes into the dimension list, it then does a binary search for the chunk, and if not found, creates a new chunk, instantiates the hashmap within, and instantiates a "ChunkBlockPos", inserts that into the hashmap, and adds the hashmap to the dimension list.

In other words, if there are 100,000 chunks stored within the dimension list, it can find the correct chunk within 17 searches doing a binary search.  Woot!

AND NO, I haven't been working on this for a year.  I was just looking through my questions and found this one.  I figured I'd update it and say thanks to all of y'all!  Thanks!

The only loop hole that I can think of now is if the block is pushed somewhere.  i.e. a piston.

Are there any piston related events?

I can fix if sand is placed and then it falls (I'll just put the lowest location)

You are going to have a lot of problems making this work, sadly.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.