[1.7.10][1.8]Save a block to be called later

PlayPrey

Hello, I want to save a block that has been crafted so the mod will remember that block.

I tried to do:

public static Block theChest;

(inside a onCraft event)

theChest = e.crafting.GetItem()

This obviously gives the error that block cant be converted to an item.

I am having trouble converting the GetItem into a GetBlock kind of thing, I cant find a way to use 'getItemFromBlock' for it.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

32GB DDR4 2400MHz 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB

This isn't a good idea for several reasons:

1. Blocks (and Items) cannot reliably be reproduced from the ID alone, meaning that if you only store the Block (or Item), you are potentially missing a lot of other information such as the block state (metadata or ItemStack damage), tile entity information (or ItemStack NBT), etc.

2. If you store it in a static field, it is not per-player but per-world, which is fine if that's your intention.

3. What's the point of storing this information? Will you need to save this information somewhere?

But, if you really want to do what you described, then you can convert from an item to a block using the static Block method #getBlockFromItem, and vice versa using Item#getItemFromBlock.

The idea is to require the player to open a specific chest in a world and then unlock a achievement- opening a different one would not unlock the achievement.

This isnt important, but I though it could be fun to require the player to open the first crafted chest. :P

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

32GB DDR4 2400MHz 

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB

The idea is to require the player to open a specific chest in a world and then unlock a achievement- opening a different one would not unlock the achievement.

This isnt important, but I though it could be fun to require the player to open the first crafted chest. :P

Just store the block's coordinates in the world nbt and use a block break event to take care of the rest.

Except that EVERY chest in the game uses the same instance, and you can't store the coordinates because the block isn't placed yet, not to mention players can move it around.

Instead, what you may be able to do is store a flag in the ItemStack NBT, then whenever a player places a block with that NBT tag (you can probably use PlaceEvent), THEN store the current coordinates of the block.

Next, subscribe to PlayerInteractEvent for RIGHT_CLICK_BLOCK and check if the coordinates match and the current block is still a chest - if so, grant the achievement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements