[1.8]Spawning particles around all entities within a radius around the player

The_Fireplace

I want to spawn particles around every living entity within a radius around the player, only if they have a certain headgear equipped. That being said, I don't want them visible to other players not wearing the headgear. I think the simplest way to do this would be to spawn them on the client-side only.

Now to the problem. I tried coding this, and it was a failure. The player couldn't see the particles. Now for my code:

In my FMLEvents.class, which is registered to the FML Event bus:

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)

@SubscribeEvent

public void onRenderTick(RenderTickEvent t){

if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer != null)

if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4) != null)

if(MiscTools.areItemStacksEqual(new ItemStack(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4).getItem()), new ItemStack(UnLogicII.crystal_eye_headband))){

byte i = 0;

if(i < 40){

i++;

}else{

List entities = Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.getEntitiesWithinAABBExcludingEntity(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer, Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getBoundingBox().expand(8, 8, 8));

for(int j=0;j<entities.size();j++){

Random rand = new Random();

Entity entity = (Entity)entities.get(j);

Minecraft.getMinecraft().theWorld.spawnParticle(EnumParticleTypes.SPELL_MOB, entity.posX, entity.posY, entity.posZ, (rand.nextDouble() - 0.5D) * (double)entity.width, rand.nextDouble() * (double)entity.height, (rand.nextDouble() - 0.5D) * (double)entity.width, null);

}

i = 0;

}

}

}

Am I doing this completely wrong, or have I just messed up a small portion of it? Any help is appreciated.

If I helped please press the Thank You button.

Check out my mods at http://www.curse.com/users/The_Fireplace/projects

I'm not sure what your MiscTools#areItemStacksEqual implementation is like (or why you would even need one when the ItemStack class itself already offers several ways to check equality), but if your headgear can be damaged, I highly doubt it will ever return true.

Not only that, but unless your item requires stack damage or NBT to determine equality, you are wasting a lot of effort.

// this monstrosity:
MiscTools.areItemStacksEqual(new ItemStack(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4).getItem()), new ItemStack(UnLogicII.crystal_eye_headband)

// should be rewriten as:
Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4).getItem() == UnLogicII.crystal_eye_headband

Also, why not store a reference to Minecraft, either in your class or locally in the method, so you don't have such long-winded statements?

Finally, this:

byte i = 0;
      if(i < 40){
         i++;
      } else {

What are you expecting to happen there? You initialize i to zero EVERY SINGLE TIME the method is called, so i++ is completely pointless and your 'else' statement is never called.

I'm not sure what your MiscTools#areItemStacksEqual implementation is like (or why you would even need one when the ItemStack class itself already offers several ways to check equality), but if your headgear can be damaged, I highly doubt it will ever return true.

Not only that, but unless your item requires stack damage or NBT to determine equality, you are wasting a lot of effort.

// this monstrosity:
MiscTools.areItemStacksEqual(new ItemStack(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4).getItem()), new ItemStack(UnLogicII.crystal_eye_headband)

// should be rewriten as:
Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4).getItem() == UnLogicII.crystal_eye_headband

Also, why not store a reference to Minecraft, either in your class or locally in the method, so you don't have such long-winded statements?

Finally, this:

byte i = 0;
      if(i < 40){
         i++;
      } else {

What are you expecting to happen there? You initialize i to zero EVERY SINGLE TIME the method is called, so i++ is completely pointless and your 'else' statement is never called.

The first part, I figured out in the time I was waiting for a response. The second part, I didn't notice, I put the byte in the wrong spot. Thanks.

Now, for anyone else trying to do this, here is my completed, working code:

byte i = 0;
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
@SubscribeEvent
public void onRenderTick(RenderTickEvent t){
	Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();
	if(mc.inGameHasFocus){
		if(mc.thePlayer.getHeldItem() != null)
			if(mc.thePlayer.getHeldItem().getItem() == Item.getItemFromBlock(UnLogicII.coal_gun) || mc.thePlayer.getHeldItem().getItem() == Item.getItemFromBlock(UnLogicII.smart_coal_gun)){
				mc.ingameGUI.drawString(Minecraft.getMinecraft().fontRendererObj, StatCollector.translateToLocal("info.coal_type")+": "+StatCollector.translateToLocal(EnumAmmo.getItem(ExtendedPlayer.get(Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer).getAmmoType()).getUnlocalizedName()+".name"), 1, 1, 16777215);
			}
	}
	if(mc.thePlayer != null)
	if(mc.thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4) != null)
	if(mc.thePlayer.getEquipmentInSlot(4).getItem() == UnLogicII.crystal_eye_headband){
	if(i < 40){
		i++;
	}else{
		World world = mc.thePlayer.worldObj;
		AxisAlignedBB aabb = mc.thePlayer.getEntityBoundingBox().expand(8, 8, ;
		List entities = world.getEntitiesWithinAABBExcludingEntity(mc.thePlayer, aabb);
		for(int j=0;j<entities.size();j++){
			Random rand = new Random();
			Entity entity = (Entity)entities.get(j);
			mc.theWorld.spawnParticle(EnumParticleTypes.SPELL_MOB, entity.posX, entity.posY, entity.posZ, (rand.nextDouble() - 0.5D) * (double)entity.width, rand.nextDouble() * (double)entity.height, (rand.nextDouble() - 0.5D) * (double)entity.width, null);
		}
		i = 0;
	}
	}
}

If I helped please press the Thank You button.

Check out my mods at http://www.curse.com/users/The_Fireplace/projects