Help with hashMaps

Atijaf

I have a hashMap that uses BlockPos as a key.

CODE

public static HashMap<BlockPos, Boolean> currentRespawnLocs = new HashMap<BlockPos, Boolean(1000);

However, I would like to use the "get(object) function to obtain the Boolean that is inside, within my event handler...

The only way I know how to obtain a BlockPos is like so..

new BlockPos(0,0,0);

or, BlockPos currentPos = event.pos;//inside my event handler

When using new, BlockPos is now consider an entirely new object and inside my hashMap, it doesn't exist.

Example:

currentRespawnLocs.put(new BlockPos(0,0,0), true);

currentRespawnLocs.get(new BlockPos(0,0,0));//this returns null;

Does anyone know any work arounds or even a better way to implement this?

Long story short: BlockPos does not override Equals and HashCode, so it isn't (usefully) hashtableable.

Have you tried:

BlockPos pos = new BlockPos(0, 0, 0);

currentRespawnLocs.put(pos, true);

currentRespawnLocs.get(pos);

While this will return a value, this is not useful, because this fails:

pos = new BlockPos(0, 0, 0);

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Have you tried:

This does work.  However, I acquire the blockPos position in the event.  In my main code, I declare the locations that I want to have as either a true or false output.

//similar to this

//In my initialization method

currentRespawnLocs.put(new BlockPos(0,0,0), true);

//In my event handler

BlockPos currentLoc = event.pos;//the BlockPos x, y, and z are all equal to 0

currentRespawnLocs.get(currentLoc);//returns a null.

I may use an array of ints in the first method instead of blockPos.  Should work.

Override the equals and hashCode methods to return the proper values when the x, y, and z are the same.

What do you mean by returning proper values?

I will have different x y and z values.  Hundreds actually.

Proper values as-in: hashCode returns the same int if BlockPos's x, y and z are the same and equals returns true if the x, y and z are all equal.

So basically, he wants you to create a hash-able wrapper around your BlockPos that you can then store on that hash map of yours.

If my post helped you, please press that "Thank You"-button to show your appreciation.

Also if you don't know Java, I would suggest you read the official tutorials by Oracle to get an idea of how to do this. Thanks, and good modding!

Also if you haven't, set up a Git repo for your mod not only for convinience but also to make it easier to help you.

Long story short: BlockPos does not override Equals and HashCode, so it isn't (usefully) hashtableable.

This is not true. Check Vec3i.

Sorry, I was basing off the fact that it didn't work (implying that BlockPos was not overriding those functions).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.