version = "1.8"
    mappings = 'stable_16'
    //mappings = "snapshot_nodoc_20141130"
    workspaceDir = "projects"
    versionJson = "jsons/1.8-dev.json"
    buildUserdev = true
    buildInstaller = true
    installerVersion = "1.4"

Yet if i flip the mappings around to stable_16 the builds fail. I've noticed that the mappings obviously in snapshot_nodoc_20141130 are behind than stable_16 but i'm not sure where the actual source files correlate back via Github? (ie is there a branch i'm not seeing that we can access or is that a private repo?)

Just curious as to how the public version of MinecraftForge ends up as a MDK build as if i were to use https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge out of the box after setup/setupForge tasks do their job, the gradle builds fail (for stable_16 not for snapshot_nodoc_20141130) to resolve symbols etc.

Am i missing a step or hidden RTFM moment here?

(Note: I'm aware modders are supposed to use MDK as-is, but i'm keen to also setup MinecraftForge source to learn how it all snaps together and maybe contribute if possible later on).

What the hell did you even say?

If I deciphered that correctly you're saying that you want to update the Forge-Dev version of MCP snapshots.

Why, Who fucking knows....

But no, updating is not that simple you'd have to go in to the MC code and fix all the references to changed mappings.

The MDK is special because it ships SRG named Forge classes/patches. Which will apply against any MCP mapping you want.

If you want to update your mappings in your MDK instance you can thats what it's designed for.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Yeah that answered it ...

Basically i was confused as to why the  Forge-Dev is behind the MDK in mappings (out of the box - as in the current repo branch)... given well Forge-dev has a subfolder "MDK".. The assumption that I made was if you swapped out the mcp mappings between snapshot_nodoc_20141130 to stable_16  the gradle tasks would update the patchings or something to that effect to map the mcp mappings.

No we do not have a system to automatically remap between two mapping versions for forge dev. So no you'd have to do it manually, However the MDK has nothing to do with Forge-Dev itself.

Unless you are going to make a PR for Forge, you shouldn't use the Forge-Dev workspace.

And a side note, for Forge-Dev you never use 'stable' you MUST use 'nodoc' as we need to NOT have the javadoc comments.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon