Questions About Copyrighted Content in a Mod.

CausticLasagne

I am about to start a full scale food mod, that will surpass pam's harvest craft and all other food mods combined, though I need to know a few things before I start.

1. Use of Copyrighted Content

- I am seeing if the use of Music for use on records and maybe some images are okay for use,

as long as the mod is not used commercially (It won't).

2. Use of Code which achieves the same outcome as other different code.

- What If I write code, and I get complaints or something? (Unlikely)

3. Maximum amount of Items/Blocks that can be present in a Minecraft Mod or

Minecraft Game (All Mods combined)

I'm probably being paranoid about the second one, but I can't have complaints and stuff.

CausticLasagne.

▒█▀▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀█ ▒█░▒█ █░░ ▀▀█▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▀█ ▒█▀▄▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀▀ █▀▀█ ░█▀▀█ █░░░█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▄▀█ █▀▀ █

░▀▀▀▄▄ █░░█ █░░█ █▀▀ █▄▄▀ ▒█░▒█ █░░ ░░█░░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ ▒█▒█▒█ █▀▀ █░▀█ █▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ █▄█▄█ █▀▀ ▀▀█ █░░█ █░▀░█ █▀▀ ▀

▒█▄▄▄█ ░▀▀▀ █▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀▀ ░▀▄▄▀ ▀▀▀ ░░▀░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▒█░░▒█ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▒█░▒█ ░▀░▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀░░░▀ ▀▀▀ ▄

1. Use of Copyrighted Content

- I am seeing if the use of Music for use on records and maybe some images are okay for use,

as long as the mod is not used commercially (It won't).

Even if your mod is free, it does not qualify as fair use.

2. Use of Code which achieves the same outcome as other different code.

- What If I write code, and I get complaints or something? (Unlikely)

Does not count as a copyright violation.  There's some grounds if you manage to write the exact same code, but I wouldn't worry about it.  You can always claim independent discovery.

3. Maximum amount of Items/Blocks that can be present in a Minecraft Mod or

Minecraft Game (All Mods combined)

4096 blocks, 32000 items.  Not including metadata.  This is a total number, vanilla + all mods.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Ahhh. Fair Use Act? Well if that's the case, then I'm going to ensure full compliance with this... ;]

In the case of Music however, I won't copy others.. because music is hard to edit without the right software.

I might have to write my own, Unless I get permission from the owner of the content?

Thanks guys for your Prompt replies and help.

CausticLasagne.

▒█▀▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀█ ▒█░▒█ █░░ ▀▀█▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▀█ ▒█▀▄▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀▀ █▀▀█ ░█▀▀█ █░░░█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▄▀█ █▀▀ █

░▀▀▀▄▄ █░░█ █░░█ █▀▀ █▄▄▀ ▒█░▒█ █░░ ░░█░░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ ▒█▒█▒█ █▀▀ █░▀█ █▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ █▄█▄█ █▀▀ ▀▀█ █░░█ █░▀░█ █▀▀ ▀

▒█▄▄▄█ ░▀▀▀ █▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░▀▀ ░▀▄▄▀ ▀▀▀ ░░▀░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▒█░░▒█ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▒█░▒█ ░▀░▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀░░░▀ ▀▀▀ ▄

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

1. Purpose and character of the use

The first factor is regarding whether the use in question helps fulfill the intention of copyright law to stimulate creativity for the enrichment of the general public, or whether it aims to only "supersede the objects" of the original for reasons of personal profit. To justify the use as fair, one must demonstrate how it either advances knowledge or the progress of the arts through the addition of something new. A key consideration is the extent to which the use is interpreted as transformative, as opposed to merely derivative.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Ok Understood.

Last Question, Not related though...

I want to include the source (or SDK) for the use of RF in my mod (Similar to other mods and cross mod compatibility)

In other words, I want to make my machines compatible with COFH's RF Energy.

How would I go about doing this?

Completely Unrelated. nvm.

Another factor in copyright: Distribution

1) If you don't distribute your mod, then you'd just be playing your own (supposedly) licensed music to yourself. There shouldn't be any violation there unless you crack some digital security to extract it (a separate issue).

2) How hard would it be for someone to download your mod's jar file and then insert his/her own mp3 files into it? If the instructions are not too difficult, then you could distribute your mod with no music included. You'd just need to explain in the installation instructions how a player could copy (supposedly legal) mp3 files into the right locations (with the right file names) within the jar file in order to be picked up by your mod. You'd probably also want your mod to handle missing files gracefully (or carry public-domain place-holder mp3s that an end user would replace).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I agree with most of what is said above.

In addition to general copyright you need to look at the EULA license with which you obtained the content as it could (likely does) contain additional restrictions. Like music downloads might explicitly say to not use it for incorporation into software/games.

Realistically though, unless your mod is distributed widely, the copyright violation is notable (e.g. Star Wars mod that uses all the music and characters from the movies), and causes actual damages the worst case is likely to just get cease and desist order. But any interaction with legal issues is worth while trying to avoid.

I'd suggest that there are lots of musicians and artists who are interested in contributing to mods under a free license so why not reach out to some. It can be fun to collaborate.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Just to toss in a few cents to the equation...

Do your research yourself. I've done YouTube for awhile as a hobby, and as paid voice/editing work for some channels as a side income. Not to say the above individuals aren't correct or aren't lawyers, but I don't think they are and unless you know they are I wouldn't take anything they say as law and would VERY HIGHLY recommend doing the research yourself.

Bottom line, don't blame them if you run into an issue as they aren't giving legal advice :D (though their guidance and suggestions is what I would've recommended).

www.YouTube.com/WeiseGamer

www.twitter.com/WeiseGamer

Ok Understood.

Last Question, Not related though...

I want to include the source (or SDK) for the use of RF in my mod (Similar to other mods and cross mod compatibility)

In other words, I want to make my machines compatible with COFH's RF Energy.

How would I go about doing this?

It is quite easy actually, and you don't need to include the source of COFH's RF in your mod. I do this with Thaumcraft (I write the TC addon Tainted Magic).

Basically, in short, you need to add a deobfuscated version COFH's lib as a referenced library. You do this by first downloading a deobf / dev version, then going into your build path - assuming you're in eclipse - and adding it as a referenced library from an external jar. Add this jar to a folder in your modding folder called libs so it builds properly. If you need more help DM me on twitter.

while(awake)

{

coffee++;

}

Ok, yorkeMC,  I followed your advice, but I still can't get it to load.

I have the jar in the libs folder but when I try to acces it it says:

Source not found

The JAR file CoFHLib-[1.7.10]1.0.3-175.jar has no source attachment.

You can attach the source by clicking Attach Source below:

First of all, when using music, textures and other things made not by you in your mod, follow license that they are licensed under. Sometimes they can be licensed under license that allows "redistribution", like Creative Commons (CC, CC-BY, CC-SA, but not CC-ND for example).

Second, to add other mod's api to you workspace, you have 2 options.

-If you have java files in zip or simply in folder (unpacked) - in project folder, create folder src/api/java and drop apis (these files) in there. Then re-setup workspace (gradlew setupDecompWorkspace/setupDevWorkspace) .

-If you have mods in jars, verify that you have dev verion of jars, then put jars in projectFolder/libs (crete one, if it does not exist) and re-setup your worspace.