[Solved] Formatting achievement text

MFMods

did anyone have any success formatting achievement description?

what i need is newline and colors. is is even possible?

i'm talking about the text you write in en_US.lang and the rest of language files. you have the title line and the description line. the description in the lang file is what i'm asking about.

here's what i know myself: \u00A75 has no effect. percent, pipe and ampersand don't seem to have a special meaning either. paragraph sign is printed as a box with a question mark inside. \n also doesn't work.  :'(

any help? i'm willing to send cookies.

I'm not sure if this will work but, have you tried the different § codes?

You can Google them by typing "Minecraft color codes". The different § codes brings italic, color, boldness.. Everything..

I might be terribly wrong.. Like really, really wrong. But I'm just trying to help.

Newlines aren't supported in the language files.  Extended character sets (like UTF) are also...less than supported.  You'll find that it'll work fine in dev, then you'll compile, and it won't work.

So the § symbol that Minecraft uses for colors likely won't work either.  You'll have to find a substitution string to use in the lang file which you'll extract after translating the untranslated version, and replace with the desired symbol (e.g.

EnumChatFormatting.WHATEVER

).

I had to do this to get the degree symbol (°):

//class initialization
	//translate from UTF-16 hex to a string of (8-bit) chars.
	int codePoint = 0x1D3C;
	char[] charPair = Character.toChars(codePoint);
	/*public static string*/ deg = new String(charPair);
	//waila tooltip method:
	currenttip.add(StatCollector.translateToLocal("description.temperature") + ": " + val + deg);

And from another project where I wanted to let a symbol be used in the lang file, which was then formatted (this is closer to what you're doing):

#Lang file
#Comments in lang files are denoted by the # at the front of the line
#{H} here will use a UTF heart symbol
effect.Hearts={H}

//Item tooltip
	String heart = StatCollector.translateToLocal("effect.Hearts");
	heart.replace("{H}", EnumChatFormatting.RED + ((char) 0x2665));
	par3List.add(StatCollector.translateToLocal("effect.Health Boost") + " " + EnumChatFormatting.BLUE + "+2.5 " + heart);

i called it the "paragraph sign"; i should have inputted the sign too to make the post more readable.

§ is the "section" character. ¶ is paragraph.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Oh, that's handy.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

Lang files are loaded as UTF-8, you can use any Unicode character (including the section symbol) if you save the file as UTF-8 from your editor. I have an example of this here.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

(UTF-16 does not save to UTF-8 ;) While UTF-8 might be sufficient here, it is not a complete solution)

Well originally I was trying to display ♥ which is U+2665, and despite saving the lang file as UFT-8 it never worked properly.  Kept showing up as two other characters.

More recently I wanted ″ and ㎝ for WAILA info tips.  Which, again, refused to work properly.

Anyway, I was mistaken, those are still UTF-8.  Point was, there were issues using characters from that set and I had to go to extra lengths to get them to display properly.

you guys are great really - i though i was gonna get some "no can do" comments...

i wasn't kidding about the cookies. address in pm and you get a box.

the colors are working - all i had to do is save with utf8 bom mark and § started working. nice.

newlines are working too:

this.A05UnderTheSea.setStatStringFormatter(new IStatStringFormat()
        {
            public String formatString(String input)
            {
                return input.replace("{NL}", " " + '\n');
            }
        });

i'm happily off to work now. thanks guys.

Just double check that it compiles properly, too. :)