[Solved] Can't figure out git

Earthcomputer

I'm making a forge mod, and am getting quite frustrated trying to figure out how to get my mod uploaded to github. After much frustration trying to use egit, I decided to use plain old command line git, which I've had the most success with.

I managed to push the project to github, but I can't figure out how not to upload the folder gradle/wrapper/ and the file CREDITS-fml.txt. Also, when I push the project, the src directory is empty on the remote side. Here is my .gitignore file:

# eclipse
bin
*.launch
.settings
.metadata
.classpath
.project

# idea
out
*.ipr
*.iws
*.iml
.idea

# gradle
build
.gradle

# other
eclipse
run

CREDITS-fml.txt
gradle
forge-1.8-11.14.4.1565-changelog.txt
gradlew
gradlew.bat
LICENSE-fml.txt
MinecraftForge-Credits.txt
MinecraftForge-License.txt
Paulscode IBXM Library License.txt
Paulscode SoundSystem CodecIBXM License.txt
README.txt

Thanks in advance for help :)

catch(Exception e)

{

}

Yay, Pokémon exception handling, gotta catch 'em all (and then do nothing with 'em).

I figured out what I did wrong about gradle/, I pushed it to github before adding it to gitignore *facepalm*. But I'm still having the problem that I can't add the subdirectories of src. I've tried everything: git add ., git add *, git add --all, git add src, git add src --all but whenever I run git commit, I get the following message:

On branch master
Changes not staged for commit:
  (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
  (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
  (commit or discard the untracked or modified content in submodules)

modified:   src (modified content)

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

Edit: I copied diesieben07's .gitignore, still doesn't work. To see what I mean about the src folder, https://github.com/Earthcomputer/Ultra-Adventure is my git repo

catch(Exception e)

{

}

Yay, Pokémon exception handling, gotta catch 'em all (and then do nothing with 'em).

Can't figure out git

Neither can most people.

git.png

If that doesn't fix it, git.txt contains the phone number of a friend of mine who understands git. Just wait through a few minutes of 'It's really pretty simple, just think of branches as...' and eventually you'll learn the commands that will fix everything.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

What happens if you commit with

git commit -a

?

Otherwise, try adding the files one by one with

git add src/yourfilepathandnamehere.java

If all else fails, try starting over again: delete the remote repository, delete the .git folder, make sure the .gitignore is up to date, and only then

git init

Good luck! And please tell us if/what helped, or what further error messages you're getting!

There is also a pretty decent manual which, if you haven't already read it, is an excellent starting point and reference for later. Always RTFM, and in the case of git, you may want to read it multiple times and actually do the examples in it - make a throwaway project and branch, fork, clone, rebase, reset --hard, etc. the hell out of it until you are more comfortable with the git workflow.

Speaking of workflows, you may want to search for 'Git workflow' and read a few articles on it, such as this. It's also covered in the manual, but it often helps to read several different perspectives.

I've 'used' the Github desktop application for quite some time, but more often than not I'm unable to do what I want with it and end up on the command line.

I switched (mostly) to SourceTree about half a year ago, and I can wholeheartedly second diesieben's recommendation of that software - it is miles and miles better than the Github app, and much more intuitive to use than the command line. I still use the command line fairly often for more complex operations, but SourceTree will usually get you by for about 70-85% of what you want to accomplish.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will definitely give source tree a try. The main reason I wanted to use the command line is so I could write a batch file to build and push my project in one command, but source tree certainly sounds easier :)

catch(Exception e)

{

}