[Solved][1.8] b1568 - Block with Blockstate doesn't drop the desired block

kreezxil

I'll try to be brief. But if you want the long winded version see http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/kreezxils-compressed-blocks or https://github.com/kreezxil/Compressed-Blocks-by-Kreezxil. The curseforge site contains my last working version before I went to blockstates  and a deeper description for everything the mod provides.

The way the mod works is that you take 9 blocks, say cobblestone, and put them evenly in a crafting table and get one compressed cobblestone back. This scenario progresses 7 more times until you reach octuple compressed cobblestone. I've done this for dirt, gravel, coal to the 4th tier, and sand thus far. That's when I went to block states. While uncrafting is the preferable way to get lower tiered blocks back, I thought it would be clever to have the option to harvest them back as well, so if you mined octuple compressed cobblestone you would get 9 septuple compressed cobblestone.

However, that is no longer happening, you can get the vanila item back when you harvest compressed or tier 1 blocks, but the higher tiered blocks are no longer returning the tier below them.

I have asked both The_Fireplace and BedrockMiner for help with this, and they are telling me they see nothing wrong with the code, therefore I am bring it back to you guys. :)

All I see is a potential crash bug: If your hardness varies with state, then getHardness should test if the Block at pos is still your block trying to get properties. (There's a client-side bug in 1.8 that calls getHardness one more time while destroying a block -- *after* the block has been turned into air). It's possible that LexManos just fixed it in a recent build, but then you may be up against consequences of doing destroy block in a new order.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

All I see is a potential crash bug: If your hardness varies with state, then getHardness should test if the Block at pos is still your block trying to get properties. (There's a client-side bug in 1.8 that calls getHardness one more time while destroying a block -- *after* the block has been turned into air). It's possible that LexManos just fixed it in a recent build, but then you may be up against consequences of doing destroy block in a new order.

Check the changelog for build 1568+, Lex caught that in a crash report I made already on this forum in regards to what you are seeing. Now we are left with an issue where the custom blocks don't want to drop custom blocks.

Technically this is solved, but I don't understand why it is.

I solved my problem with the block drops.

I reduced my code too far apparently and did something that I thought it was legal, Minecraft felt it wasn't.

I put a bunch of variables to the top to make configuring successive new compressed blocks easier, and to make balancing also easier.

One of the lines I put up top  was:

public static final Block masterBlock = ModBlocks.CompressedFlint;

And then I reference 'masterBlock' in the getItemDropped function. Well, Minecraft wouldn't allow that, it wanted me to put ModBlocks.CompressedFlint there. Oddly it accepted all of the other variables.

Any idea as to why it behaved like that?