New to forge modding, white texture with black dot? [Solved]

Jakeb89

I'm new to forge modding and am currently trying to add two items. Both seem to be added just fine and I can craft them. Them problem arises when I try to set their sprites. I have two 256x256 sprite pngs which they should be reading their textures from. They don't give any errors as far as I can tell, but instead of showing the proper textures they are just white squares with black dots. : (

I've searched around for the past hour on google and have found no answers. I've found multiple people with the same problem, but still no answers. If anyone could lend some advice as to what I am doing wrong, I would very much appreciate it.

[spoiler=mod_MagicMod]

package net.minecraft.src;

import net.minecraft.src.forge.*;

public class mod_MagicMod extends BaseMod
{
public static final Item fireInk = 
		(new FireInkItem(200)).setIconIndex(0).setItemName("fireInk");
public static final Item fireScroll = 
		(new FireScrollItem(201)).setIconIndex(0).setItemName("fireScroll");

public mod_MagicMod()
{

}

public void load()
{
	MinecraftForgeClient.preloadTexture("/MagicMod/dyes.png");
	MinecraftForgeClient.preloadTexture("/MagicMod/scrolls.png");
	ModLoader.addName(fireInk, "Fire Ink");
	ModLoader.addName(fireScroll, "Fire Scroll");
	ModLoader.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(fireInk), new Object[] {new ItemStack(Item.dyePowder, 1, 1)});
	ModLoader.addShapelessRecipe(new ItemStack(fireScroll), new Object[] {fireInk, Item.paper});
}

public String getVersion()
{
	return "1.0.0";
}
}

[spoiler=FireInkItem]

public class FireInkItem extends Item implements ITextureProvider{

public FireInkItem(int i)
    {
            super(i);
            this.iconIndex = 0;
    }
    public String getTextureFile()
    {
            return "/MagicMod/dyes.png";
    }
}

[spoiler=FireScrollItem]

public class FireScrollItem extends Item implements ITextureProvider{

public FireScrollItem(int i)
    {
            super(i);
            this.iconIndex = 0;
    }
    public String getTextureFile()
    {
            return "/MagicMod/scrolls.png";
    }
}

[spoiler=Screenshot]aYGfn.png

minecraft cant find your textures

Put them in the class path correctly -.-

Yes, well, that's very specific and helpful of you. /sarcasm

I was just coming back to post that I have found the answer myself: I am using eclipse. When you specify where to find the custom texture files, it is looking in MCP\eclipse\Client\bin as the starting point. Since no one bothered to say this anywhere in any tutorials I've seen, it's a bit of a mystery until you figure it out yourself.

Maybe someone else will have this problem and find this post and find the solution posted here, in clear text, and rejoice that someone bothered to actually post the solution to this problem.

I was just coming back to post that I have found the answer myself: I am using eclipse. When you specify where to find the custom texture files, it is looking in MCP\eclipse\Client\bin as the starting point. Since no one bothered to say this anywhere in any tutorials I've seen, it's a bit of a mystery until you figure it out yourself.

Maybe someone else will have this problem and find this post and find the solution posted here, in clear text, and rejoice that someone bothered to actually post the solution to this problem.

Uhhhh. It was specific of him, and he told you the exact solution...

Uhhhh. It was specific of him, and he told you the exact solution...

"minecraft cant find your textures" - Admittedly slightly helpful. He has eliminated the possibility that minecraft was finding them but just wasn't using them.

"Put them in the class path" - Sure would be dandy if he had been more specific here. If someone doesn't know where this class path is, that's not very helpful.

"correctly" - Lovely. If I knew the "correct" way, I wouldn't be having a problem and asking about it. Kid is falling down while trying to ride a bicycle? Tell him to "ride it correctly". That'll help him.

Anyway, my problem is solved so I'm getting out of here. I just thought it'd be nice if somewhere on the internet the solution to this problem was posted in clear, plain text rather than

A) the many pages where the question is asked but not answer is given (found plenty of those)

or

B) people give high-level answers without specifics (found here.)

Later guys.

MinecraftForgeClient.preloadTexture("/MagicMod/dyes.png");
MinecraftForgeClient.preloadTexture("/MagicMod/scrolls.png");

Make a folder called "MagicMod" and in it put a png called "dyes" (obviously your dye sprites) and a png called "scrolls" (again your scroll sprites).

Put the MagicMod folder in the minecraft jar located in the /jars/bin/ then run minecraft.

Capitalization is important make sure the name are the exact same in the code as the names of the texture files