[1.8]Adding subtext to vanilla itemstacks

Mistram

Is there a way to add a subtext for vanilla itemstacks, depending on some data written in the nbt stack?

So lets say you could infuse a blaze rod with some stuff (written in the nbt) and then you would have the tooltip "This item has 4 infusions left"?

Subscribe to

ItemTooltipEvent

and add lines to the list.

If NEI is running, this event won't be fired; so you need to implement

IContainerTooltipHandler

and register it using

GuiContainerManager.addTooltipHandler

I don't think JEI messes with this event, so you don't need to work around it like you do with NEI.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I added the dev version of CodeChickenCore and NotEnoughItems and its throwing a ClassNotFoundException at me.. Any ideas..?

Exception in thread "main" [15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at net.minecraftforge.gradle.GradleStartCommon.launch(GradleStartCommon.java:97)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at GradleStart.main(GradleStart.java:26)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: codechicken/lib/asm/CC_ClassWriter

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at codechicken.core.asm.MCPDeobfuscationTransformer$LoadPlugin.injectData(MCPDeobfuscationTransformer.java:52)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.CoreModManager$FMLPluginWrapper.injectIntoClassLoader(CoreModManager.java:143)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:115)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.ThreadGroup:uncaughtException:-1]: ... 6 more

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: codechicken.lib.asm.CC_ClassWriter

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:191)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: ... 10 more

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.LaunchClassLoader.findClass(LaunchClassLoader.java:182)

[15:07:49] [main/INFO] [sTDERR]: [java.lang.Throwable:printStackTrace:-1]: ... 12 more

It looks like CodeChickenLib is missing. CodeChickenCore usually downloads it automatically, but you may need to add it as a dependency manually in the development environment.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

No, it's only for 1.8 and earlier. Just Enough Items (JEI) is the 1.8.9 replacement for its item list and recipe viewing functionality.

I guess I will be using JEI  then, since it supports 1.8.9.

Another problem I stumpled upon was adding the information to the itemstacks nbt.

I am triing to add 10 charges to each blaze rod that get depleted when doing stuff.

The problem is that the TagCompound is null the next tick, even if I set it in my code (This is running inside a ServerTickHandler)

ArrayList<EntityPlayer> player = Helper.getAllPlayer();
	for (EntityPlayer entityPlayer : player) {

for (ItemStack itemStack : entityPlayer.openContainer.inventoryItemStacks) {
			if(itemStack==null) continue;
			if(itemStack.getItem() ==Items.blaze_rod) {
				NBTTagCompound compound = itemStack.getTagCompound();
				if(compound==null) {
					compound = new NBTTagCompound();
					itemStack.setTagCompound(compound);

}
				if(!compound.hasKey("charges")) {
					System.out.println("setting compound");
					compound.setLong("charges", 10);
				}
			}
		}
	}

Container#inventoryItemStacks

is just a cache that stores a copy of the container's contents. To modify the inventory itself you need to iterate through the container's slots (

Container#inventorySlots

), copy the stack in each slot (

Slot#getStack

ItemStack#copy

), modify the copy and then replace the slot's stack with the copy (

Slot#putStack

).

Don't directly modify the stack returned from

Slot#getStack

as the slot may be backed by an

IItemHandler

, which specifically forbids modifying the stack returned from

IItemHandler#getStackInSlot

I don't think that documentation is accurate, since the vanilla Skull item uses NBT to store the skull owner (for player skulls) and can be stacked.

If you're modifying the NBT of items not added by your mod, make sure you include your mod ID in the tag names so you don't overwrite other people's data.

Storing the infusion count could be a potential use-case for the new capability system.