[1.8.9][Solved, still have questions] JSON Model Not Changing

ratismal

Hi,

I've been trying to get my block to render the way I want it to, but have been getting nothing but grief.

I have the JSON file for the block here (Github).

What I want to achieve is this: The block has two Properties in it's BlockState. One to determine what mode the block is on, and the other to determine if the block is visible. The block's texture differs depending on it's mode. Currently, the Properties are changing correctly, and the texture differs correctly based on the mode.

The part I'm having difficulties with is the visible part. Initially, I tried to overwrite the MODE textures with a blank texture when VISIBLE was false. However, the MODE textures seem to have some sort of crazy precedence over the VISIBLE textures, and thus the blank texture was never used. Thus, my first question is this: Do certain Properties have priorities over others, and if so how is the priority determined?

What I'm now trying to do is to change the block's model based on the VISIBLE property. As seen in the above JSON file, I'm trying to change the model to "blankblock" when VISIBLE is false. "blankblock" has the blank texture hardcoded in, which I had hoped to override the MODE textures. I know that the block does use the "blankblock" model, as I once misspelled the texture path and it gave me an error. However, there is no visual change. Thus, my second question is this: Why doesn't the texture change with the "blankblock" model?

The blankblock.json file in question is here (Github).

The original basictrigger.json file is here (Github).

I would very much appreciate an answer to either of these two questions, as I have been trying to get this to work all night to no avail. I will be glad to provide any additional information.

Thank you in advance,

Ratismal

Did I help you? Don't be afraid to give that 'thank you' button a good smack for me!

It's been looking at me weirdly for a while now.

Ok, I figured out what was wrong with the model. I was using "all" as the variable name for my model, but the game was interpreting me to mean that I wanted to ignore the texture in my model and replace it with my "all" texture. I have fixed this by renaming the variable to "sides".

I would still like to know how texture priorities work, if someone would be kind enough to grace me with an answer.

Did I help you? Don't be afraid to give that 'thank you' button a good smack for me!

It's been looking at me weirdly for a while now.